Motivation, inspiration... perspiration; losing, finding and keeping your musical mojo

spinland

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Before I say anything else in this thread: Thank you, Dennis, for your contributions to helping our brothers and sisters in arms. You are on my list of heroes. B)

This evening brought home to me something powerful about what music means to me. One of my young nephews, just starting in high school, is being raised by an amazing single mom who has gone to ballad-worthy efforts to finish a lucrative technical degree and make a better life for her son. She's been concerned about the lack of adult male influences in his life, and he's been showing an interest in guitar music.

He's been having a very hard time, both with school and with his peers. I see so, so much of me in him and in his struggles. I didn't have anyone during that period of my life: my dad was out of his element and my uncles were more interested in being cool and getting chicks. I also didn't have music apart from my church vocal activities.

Well, for the past few weeks I've been taking my acoustic over to their place and spending an hour with him, going over basic strum patterns, chords, and the rudiments that could evolve into playing actual songs.

Today, for whatever reasons, went way deeper than just that. My inner wellspring burst, and we broke from the song-based exploration into what I see as the roots of actual music: we started making ditties that touched on our pains, our frustrations, our anger, based on chords in the key of the song we were looking at today.

Wow. So much old sediment stirred up, so much connection with his pain and need. So, so much honest tapping into what music can do for one's inner demons, one's soul.

Right now I'm in an odd state, verklempt and wrapped up in old pain. Also deeply moved, and happy that I was able to connect with him on that level, to be there for him, and for me. By our next week's session he's pledged to have some more ditties written for us to look over, using the key I gave him to work within.

So. That is what music can mean to me. That is part of what will keep me going. :side:

Mark

tombo1230

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Nice work Dennis, this sounds like a really great situation you are in, with a lot of benefits for people who have already given a lot themselves. I applaud you. :)
The fact you are super motivated yourself in the learning and playing of music is a nice bonus for you.

Tom N.

michelew

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Mark,

Good job with sharing your musical know-how. It’s sounds like you’ve got the beginning of a songwriting journey going there; in fact a songwriting collaboration. Perhaps you should search for a cool name for your duo. :) I’m guessing your newphew would get a kick out of that.

Writing lyrics is very therapeutic, even if you never share them. God knows I’ve started some that I’ve never finished because they felt too personal. And of course turning them into songs that you can refine and add to over a period and then play for people is very rewarding.

Here’s a couple of band names to start you off:

- the Blood Brothers
- Deep Ditties. :)
- Dragon-hearts.

Have fun. And let us know how your music adventures go.

M

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:07 am

Hi y'all

I've found that participating at a local open-mike is a great motivator.
Luckily, this one is a very respectful venue, where everyone in the audience shuts up and listens, so performers are not competing with the hum and bustle of a regular bar scene.

Since this open-mike is a once a month event, it gives me time to prepare at least two songs that might work.
Not that they actually are successful, but hey ... I'm growing some thick skin (not only on my fingertips) ;)

So, lots to learn. The rule of thumb, I guess, is to play a tune about 1,345 times, and hope to remember it when the time comes.

Pierre

spinland

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks, Shel, I like the names, methinks he will, too. I'll mention them to him.

The current crop of ditties are, I fear, rather geared to what would make a chronically-depressed thirteen year old boy laugh and none of them thus far are fit for, er, polite company. That being said, there's plenty of time to evolve that approach into something less...something. :silly:

Veering back to the titular topic, another motivator I'm finding is starting to take local lessons.

The material here is amazing, the instructors beyond amazing, but I've been feeling nothing can match sitting in the same room with someone and bouncing stuff back and forth in real time (in person rather than through a screen). The head tech at our local shop is also an accomplished player and teacher (he was once asked to join Steve Vai on stage and played a couple of songs with him and his band). We've already been yakking about guitar geekery and he knows something of how I play based on my time in the shop, so it seemed a natural fit.

I belong to a "goals and accountability" group where we're on the spot monthly to step up, share our current goals and plans to attain them, and account for our progress thus far. I've found not wanting to embarrass myself in front of others to be a good motivator. :side: Similarly Mike can assess where I'm at in real time, redirect and guide, and hold me accountable next time for how well I've done my homework.

Plus, he's got lots of quality time with the Spincaster now and it's currently in his skilled hands so he can properly dress the frets and tweak my comparatively-unskilled setup job.

Mark

dennisg

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks everyone. Working with Guitars for Vets is pretty much the most rewarding thing I've ever done.

By the way, if you've got an old beater guitar you'd like to get rid of -- or you'd like to make a cash donation -- head on over to http://www.guitars4vets.org. Tell them Dennis in Seattle sent you. The guitars that people donate are the very ones we use for giving lessons. Thanks in advance for your support.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic