Confessions of a “dodging” guitarist: the things I know I need to “just do”

michelew

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi y’all,

I’ve been playing long enough to know a bunch of things that I should be doing or doing more often, but I’m not; things that will make me sound better, play better and enjoy playing more.

A few obvious ones for me are:

- change my strings: I’ve forgotten when I last changed my steel strings (nylon strings too) - it’s probably more than six months. If I’ve forgotten, it’s time right?! I know the 15 (ish) minutes it takes will be well worth it. Maybe I’ll do it this evening as they’re sounding dull.

- get back to playing barre-chords: my left hand is definitely out of condition. I hear Tom and Ness saying “just do it!” Yep! I’ll give myself a good talking to.

- play with a pick more: I’m still gravitating to fingerpicking - using a pick sucks, but yes I need to just spend a little time each day using a pick or I’ll never be comfortable doing it.

Of course there are many, many more. But I know there are big benefits for me if I just invest a little time in these straight-forward things.

So, what are the things you know you need to do more of? What are the things that you’re avoiding ... well because it’s easy to do; especially when/if you’re learning using online resources alone and you don’t have Neil, Ness or another teacher working with you in person to point out and tackle the obvious things that you need to “just do”.

Knowing and doing... two different things. But sharing on the forum might help you to make a contract with yourself and make it happen. ‘Lazy’ isn’t really the best description; other factors like time, motivation, etc also come to bear here. I was mostly wanting to grab you’re attention. :) if you’ve read this far then I guess I did. :) And if anyone has an alternative to “lazy” in the title ... well it can be changed.

Looking forward to hearing your personal insights.

Michele

michelew

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 am

So 15 minutes my arse! Now I remember why I change my strings so infrequently, more like 45 or 50 minutes to take them off, clean the guitar, put new ones on and get it up to pitch again; all while my pups are scratching at the door trying to get in.

But it’s done! For another.... probably months in truth. :) and it’s sounding much brighter. Yeh!! Well worth the effort indeed.

And I can tick the barre chord and pick box too. Woo hoo. Actually my barres are not quite as pathetic as I thought they were but definitely need to be beefed up; Sister Golden Hair to the rescue. I do love that song. Now... to keep doing it. Hehe. Yes boss, I hear you.

Actually, I am really hoping to make some progress in getting comfortable using a pick this time. I used to whinge endlessly about how using a thumb pick sucked until I found the right one for me and stuck with it. Now I actual like using it. Who knew?! B) :woohoo: :silly:

Shel - reporting in on the “just do it”-mission. ;) let’s see how good I’m doing in a couple of weeks. :) maybe I can add some other obvious things to the list. :)

Singing out.

tombo1230

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 am

Ok Michele,
I think ‘lazy,’ is being a bit hard on yourself. I would say unmotivated for whatever reason.
I think one of the reasons some people lose their motivation is because they aren’t having as much fun as they once were, so do fun things and enjoy your playing. Personally I find interacting with another musician is fun and you learn stuff from someone who is better than you. Songwriting is another fun thing and is something I have gotten back into recently. I get so much out of that and I truly believe this is something everyone should try. What is there to lose?
You obviously have done a lot of this, so you know what I mean.

I think balance is important, Have your fun easy songs to play and mix that up with your longer harder project songs and your technique practice, with whatever you feel you need to improve.
I am learning about harmony, improvisation and the fretboard amongst other things.

I think one thing you have to realise is that you have come a long way in the last few years, so stopping playing is just a waste and not a great option.

You have changed your strings and practiced your barre chords,
now look for something fun to play and share it here with us all.

(Just do it!!) :) :)

Tom N.

daryl

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 am

Instead of "lazy" how about something along the lines of "avoid".

Definition 1: to get or keep away from (as a responsibility) through cleverness or trickery; trying to avoid writing thank-you notes for the gifts he didn't like

Synonyms of avoid:

escape, dodge, duck, elude, eschew, evade, finesse, get around, escape, shake, shirk, shuffle (out of), shun, weasel (out of)

Words Related to avoid:
miss, avert, deflect, divert, obviate, parry, prevent, ward (off)
ban, bar, debar, eliminate, except, exclude, preclude, rule out
bypass, circumvent, skirt, foil, fox, frustrate, outfox, outsmart, outwit, overreach, thwart

Perhaps: Confessions of a "dodging" guitarist.

michelew

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:47 am

Tom - I hear you loud and clear. Actually I’m working on a couple of things that I hope to upload relatively shortly.

Daryl - excellent suggestion. Done! Picked up a guitar yet? I hope so.

Thanks for responding guys.

M

daryl

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:22 am

Actually, I have been starting to play a bit of late (I was rather nicely kicked in the butt by a fellow TG'er). There are a couple of songs I'm trying to get up to speed on. We'll see if anything worthy comes of them.....

spinland

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 am

Resolves:

•Less tinkering, moar playing. In my defense I was on a quest for "my" guitar that really speaks to me, and I'm about done creating her. The past couple of days I've been playing my fingers off.
•Barre. Barre. Moar Barre. Finger strength as well as bouncing the chord shapes so I can get to them quicker. This is the basis for everything I'm trying to do in my musical style.
•Moar playing to backing tracks. I hate metronomes (annoying, boring, clicky thangs) but I need that external beat to keep me in time while I learn. Backing tracks have no mercy, doan wait for you to find that fingering.
•Just play, play, play some moar. IGC2018 isn't all that far off and I want to be ready.

Mark

sandysue

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Michele

Even if you take lessons you still have to think of ways to keep yourself motivated at times. When you and David were writing and producing your own music videos you two were on fire and we at TG were loving seeing your videos and being a part of it all Vicariously. You guys were fantastic.

I think having goals and projects like you and David were doing really helps on the motivation. I am totally obsessed with learning how to play and sing the song diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez right now. It’s a big project for me but I wake up each day lately wanting to get my guitar out and practice that song.

michelew

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm

daryl wrote:
Actually, I have been starting to play a bit of late (I was rather nicely kicked in the butt by a fellow TG'er). There are a couple of songs I'm trying to get up to speed on. We'll see if anything worthy comes of them.....
That’s absolutely wonderful. Suddenly the world seems to have become a better place. Looking forward to a post.

See you soon my friend. :)

M

michelew

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 pm

spinland wrote:
Resolves:

•Less tinkering, moar playing. In my defense I was on a quest for "my" guitar that really speaks to me, and I'm about done creating her. The past couple of days I've been playing my fingers off.
•Barre. Barre. Moar Barre. Finger strength as well as bouncing the chord shapes so I can get to them quicker. This is the basis for everything I'm trying to do in my musical style.
•Moar playing to backing tracks. I hate metronomes (annoying, boring, clicky thangs) but I need that external beat to keep me in time while I learn. Backing tracks have no mercy, doan wait for you to find that fingering.
•Just play, play, play some moar. IGC2018 isn't all that far off and I want to be ready.

Mark

That’s a great list of goals Mark. I’m sure it will serve you well. Good luck satisfying your contract.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic