Confessions of a “dodging” guitarist: the things I know I need to “just do”

michelew

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:17 am

elennon wrote:
Hi Michele

Thanks for this topic and all the others for contributing. When i first saw the heading I was immediately confronted with how I view some of my own bad learning behaviours. I almost did not want to read on but glad I did. What irritates me most in my case is I know very well there are certain things which I should do if I want to see improvement but I always have an excuse to put it off and just noodle around or look for new things to play etc.
What has helped me a lot recently has been having my one to one lessons with Vanessa. She has a fantastic ability to spot every short cut or lazy weakness in my playing and calls it out to the spot.

In addition to your list of 'dodging" behaviours , here are some more of mine

Not playing with a metronome
Not counting while playing
Not critically listening to my playing
Not playing entire songs with intros & endings

all seem logical steps to address to being a better player but things I was/am very good at avoiding.

The metronome and counting in particular I would do everything to avoid. However recently i have been making an effort and I am actually starting to see some benefits so I shall persist. If I don't Vanessa will just give me a hard time anyway ;-)

Last word of my own philosophy , maybe we should not be too hard on ourselves at least we are trying learn and improve

Good list Eric. Personally I find it much more fun to play against a slowed down version of the songs I’m learning. With Ness on your side I’m sure you’ll be making great strides in no time.

M

spinland

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Shel, for heavens sake, just get yourself an electric pegwinder. :laugh: One of the best accessory purchases i ever did for the guitar. It gets the job done in less than 10 minutes. And that's when i take my time for it. 5 minutes should be possible as well.

Now change at least every six weeks, two months at the most. :) B)
Huh. Electric, eh? Well, for a change mine ISN'T electric while yours is. :lol:

I still use the old skool clipper/winder pliers for my changes.

Mark

michelew

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 am

Ness,

Is there any chance of tightening the strings too quickly with the electronic winder? Can you feel how much tension you’re putting on?

Shel

tombo1230

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 am

michelew wrote:
Ness,

Is there any chance of tightening the strings too quickly with the electronic winder? Can you feel how much tension you’re putting on?

Shel
Hi Shell,
Maybe you need a ‘roadie,’

Tom N.

spinland

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 am

tombo1230 wrote:
michelew wrote:
Ness,

Shel
Hi Shell,
Maybe you need a ‘roadie,’

Tom N.
I've seen that in action and it's pretty cool! If you decide to go that route there's supposedly a "Roadie 2" either out or coming out soon that doesn't need the phone app.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic