Confessions of a “dodging” guitarist: the things I know I need to “just do”

michelew

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Michele

Even if you take lessons you still have to think of ways to keep yourself motivated at times. When you and David were writing and producing your own music videos you two were on fire and we at TG were loving seeing your videos and being a part of it all Vicariously. You guys were fantastic.

I think having goals and projects like you and David were doing really helps on the motivation. I am totally obsessed with learning how to play and sing the song diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez right now. It’s a big project for me but I wake up each day lately wanting to get my guitar out and practice that song.

Hi Sandy!

Yep David and I both enjoy our TZZ endeavors. The first six months was especially crazy. We’ve had fun, all the more for getting to collaborate with some cool special guests. We’re not hanging up our TZZ badges yet. Hopefully you’ll see something relatively soon ... once we sort a few technical issues.

I’m looking forward to hearing you play Diamond and Rust. It’s a great song. I love playing it, though I generally struggle with the transition to the bridge and especially singing it at the same time. Joan suddenly starts singing like she’s calling the races. :) it’s crazy.

Thanks for the morale support Sandy. You’re a sweetie.

L

Shel

elennon

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi Michele

Thanks for this topic and all the others for contributing. When i first saw the heading I was immediately confronted with how I view some of my own bad learning behaviours. I almost did not want to read on but glad I did. What irritates me most in my case is I know very well there are certain things which I should do if I want to see improvement but I always have an excuse to put it off and just noodle around or look for new things to play etc.
What has helped me a lot recently has been having my one to one lessons with Vanessa. She has a fantastic ability to spot every short cut or lazy weakness in my playing and calls it out to the spot.

In addition to your list of 'dodging" behaviours , here are some more of mine

Not playing with a metronome
Not counting while playing
Not critically listening to my playing
Not playing entire songs with intros & endings

all seem logical steps to address to being a better player but things I was/am very good at avoiding.

The metronome and counting in particular I would do everything to avoid. However recently i have been making an effort and I am actually starting to see some benefits so I shall persist. If I don't Vanessa will just give me a hard time anyway ;-)

Last word of my own philosophy , maybe we should not be too hard on ourselves at least we are trying learn and improve

spinland

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm

elennon wrote:
...i have been making an effort and I am actually starting to see some benefits so I shall persist. If I don't Vanessa will just give me a hard time anyway ;-)
This. Ness is both my muse and my beta noire. ;)

Love ya, Ness. Whip-cracking bastige. :side:

elennon

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:04 pm

:laugh:

TGNesh

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 am

:laugh: :laugh: Big hug!! ;)

spinland wrote:
elennon wrote:
...i have been making an effort and I am actually starting to see some benefits so I shall persist. If I don't Vanessa will just give me a hard time anyway ;-)
This. Ness is both my muse and my beta noire. ;)

Love ya, Ness. Whip-cracking bastige. :side:

TGNesh

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:09 am

And you know Eric, we worked on it for maybe what, 20/30 minutes or so? (obviously not a life time ;) ) And within that time, you got clearly more used to it (yes, it gets easier folks!), especially if you would put your 'laser-focus' on, and you got the right hand moving in time consistently (double time). Now imagine doing that every day for the coming weeks (exactly as we did in our lesson) and you'll become a breathing metronome yourself. :laugh: :laugh: You can stop when you start loving the d%$#m thing. :laugh:

elennon wrote:

The metronome and counting in particular I would do everything to avoid. However recently i have been making an effort and I am actually starting to see some benefits so I shall persist. If I don't Vanessa will just give me a hard time anyway ;-)

TGNesh

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 am

Shel, for heavens sake, just get yourself an electric pegwinder. :laugh: One of the best accessory purchases i ever did for the guitar. It gets the job done in less than 10 minutes. And that's when i take my time for it. 5 minutes should be possible as well.

Now change at least every six weeks, two months at the most. :) B)

michelew wrote:
So 15 minutes my arse! Now I remember why I change my strings so infrequently, more like 45 or 50 minutes to take them off, clean the guitar, put new ones on and get it up to pitch again; all while my pups are scratching at the door trying to get in.

But it’s done! For another.... probably months in truth. :) and it’s sounding much brighter. Yeh!! Well worth the effort indeed.

TGNesh

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 am

I would like to add something to this thread Shel, as in my own personal 'dodging'.

But in thruth, i ám doing the things i need to do and more. My job keeps me off the dodging guitarist path. ;) And that's a wonderful thing. :)

michelew

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 am

TGVanessa wrote:
I would like to add something to this thread Shel, as in my own personal 'dodging'.

But in thruth, i ám doing the things i need to do and more. My job keeps me off the dodging guitarist path. ;) And that's a wonderful thing. :)

I’m SHOCKED! I wonder why Neil choose you as a TG teacher ... such a mystery ... don’t worry I’m sure I’ll come up with some reason. :P :silly: :woohoo:

michelew

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Shel, for heavens sake, just get yourself an electric pegwinder. :laugh: One of the best accessory purchases i ever did for the guitar. It gets the job done in less than 10 minutes. And that's when i take my time for it. 5 minutes should be possible as well.

Now change at least every six weeks, two months at the most. :) B)

michelew wrote:
So 15 minutes my arse! Now I remember why I change my strings so infrequently, more like 45 or 50 minutes to take them off, clean the guitar, put new ones on and get it up to pitch again; all while my pups are scratching at the door trying to get in.

But it’s done! For another.... probably months in truth. :) and it’s sounding much brighter. Yeh!! Well worth the effort indeed.
A peg winder genius. How about I just pop over to your place and borrow yours next time I need to change my strings? :). You can demonstrate. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic