Incredible machines - hands

michelew

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Hey y’all :)

Guitars are pretty amazing machines right?! And a conduit for us all to express ourselves.

But have you ever really considered the amazing machines that you carry around with you every day that we’re so dependent on for transferring our emotions into the instruments of our obsessions?

About three weeks ago I was walking along looking the wrong way (I’d just missed my bus) when my foot met with an unexpected obstacle and suddenly I was falling. Fast forward through embarrassment, pain and the strangeness of falling as an adult.... Over the next day it became apparent that I’d really done a number on both hands and wrists and especially my left thumb. Luckily I hadn’t broken anything, but I’ve become painfully aware of all of the things I do with my hands and how dependent I am on them.

I’ve been banned from playing the guitar for at least another couple of weeks by my Physio to ensure I don’t retard their healing. In truth I’ve been testing myself a litttle by picking up my Uke and yep....even now it takes very little time before my brain is saying “stop being stupid, stop playing, this is a bad pain that you can’t just push through.”

So I’m sitting on the side lines, and having to get my hit of guitar stuff by enjoying the playing of others. Yep our hands are pretty incredible machines. You don’t realise just how important they are until they’re out of action.

I know some of you out there have had similar experiences. Anyone want to share your own experiences, frustrations and road to recovery?

Read you soon. Ciao for now

Michele

daryl

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:47 am

So sorry to hear that you've been sidelined. Your injury sounds painful. I have a couple thoughts for you while you're laid up. How about writing lyrics/poems? How about composing melodies and progressions with a software package? How about using a bottle slide and working on some Duane Allman licks?

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 am

Sorry to hear about your injuries Shel, nasty business. :( Hope you can play soon!

I sometimes get a "trigger finger", when my R.H. little finger gets stuck in a bent position as the tendon snags inside the sheath. It will prevent me from playing but usually goes away quickly. When it reoccurs frequently, it can be a pain in the, er, A-string! But nothing serious. Started to get arthritic pains a while back but it hasn't worsened, so I am counting myself lucky!

sandysue

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:41 am

Hi Michele. I’m so sorry to hear that you fell and hurt yourself. It’s easy to do. A couple of years ago I fell and broke one of the fingers on my left hand. I couldn’t play guitar for a while either and I lost my range of motion for a while too. You don’t realize how quickly you can get hurt and be out of Commission.

Do you ever get overuse injuries in you hands and fingers from playing too much guitar.? Recently I’ve been playing the same songs over and over too much and now my hands hurt. Hope you’re feeling better soon. It’s great to see you posting. I’m looking forward to more Time Zone Zombie. :) :)

Sandy

tombo1230

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Michelle,
Sorry to hear you have injured yourself, that really is a bummer. :(

It’s a good time now to do some ear training and if you don’t already know them, learn
all of the notes and intervals on the fretboard, where they are and what they are called.
It’s not as much fun as playing, but it will be very useful when you are fit again.

A couple of years ago I tore my right bicep ligament and was out of action for months.
I lost a lot of strength and dexterity after the reattachment, but it all came back eventually.
I know there are others on here who have had bigger injuries than mine and I’m sure they will
tell you that you just have to see it through the waiting and recovery time. Nothing else for it.

Speedy recovery and use your time well. :)

Tom N.

michelew

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Daryl, Chris, Sandy and Tom,

Thanks for the well wishes and the suggestions.

I did take the cover off my keyboard yesterday and softly and gently explored a melody and progression that was in my head; trying to get a little musical and keep my fingers moving without stressing them. So I guess I’ve got some other ways to have music fun indeed.

Chris - trigger finger - shhhheeesh! That does not sound good. Glad it doesn’t last long.

Sandy - yeh playing the same thing over and over can definitely be hell on your hands. I often find that it’s my callouses that aren’t up for it; especially my pinky. But maybe I just haven’t played enough for a while. I guess more variation is called for right? Good luck.

Tom - yeh my mishap while still uncomfortable is nothing compared to many of the injuries that people have spoken about onthe forum; Scott’s shoulder comes to mind, which sounds like hell ... and tearing a bicep ligament - gosh that also sounds horrible too.

So do any of you have a regular regime to keep your hands and arms flexible and healthy for playing?

pbraun

Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 am

I may be in the same situation later this week. On Thursday I am having heart surgery. I will be in recovery mode for the next 5-6 weeks. I’m hoping for some good guitar time during that recovery period. But I noticed the other day how I hold the guitar and it’s pretty close to where the incesion will be so I’m not sure how it will play out at least for the first few weeks. But it shouldn’t stop me from watching the new lessons and dreaming of playing them like our great instructors!
Pete

tombo1230

Mon May 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Pete, good luck to you with the surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Guitar playing wise.....maybe you could try playing in a classical position, it would probably take the guitar out of the way of your chest, maybe worth a shot?

Cheers,

Tom.

TGNesh

Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 am

Heart surgery? :ohmy:

That's quite a big thing to say the least....i sure wish you well and hopefully a succesful recovery. Tom's suggestion might help you out. You probably gotta try out a few things there.

Good luck Pete! Even without playing for a while, i hope you'll indeed enjoy the new lessons coming out. :)

All the best to you,

Ness

pbraun wrote:
I may be in the same situation later this week. On Thursday I am having heart surgery. I will be in recovery mode for the next 5-6 weeks. I’m hoping for some good guitar time during that recovery period. But I noticed the other day how I hold the guitar and it’s pretty close to where the incesion will be so I’m not sure how it will play out at least for the first few weeks. But it shouldn’t stop me from watching the new lessons and dreaming of playing them like our great instructors!
Pete

michelew

Wed May 09, 2018 5:23 am

Pete,

All the best for your surgery and recovery. I hope you find the perfect no impact playing position and you can spend lots of your time off play and learning your favourite songs.

Let us know how you go.

We’ll for barracking for a speedy recovery.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic