Making a new friend

spinland

Sat May 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Still on the quest for that One True Guitar that’s destined to become my favorite. I have a particular “something” in mind and, as time passes and potentials come and go, what that “something” is made of becomes slowly more clear to me.

Meet my latest friend. It’s other 2016 model I scored used. Gibson’s woes, especially with respect to their Memphis operations, gives rise to some interesting opportunities in the marketplace. Since their ES style guitars seem to be closest to “my thing” I’m not slow to take advantage.

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Um, no pic Spin!

spinland

Sat May 12, 2018 8:01 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Um, no pic Spin!
Crud. Maybe because I tried to post it from my iPad. Let's try again:

spinland

Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 am

I've been playing the 339 unplugged for practicing scales and songs and the like. When I get back to recording (I shall, I promise) this is the rest of the equation. I have a Shure SM-58 vocals mic on a stand handy for the other Scarlett jack (that other gear sitting next to the Scarlett is work stuff unrelated to music).

This is about as simple a recording rig as I know how to make; even if I were recording acoustic I'd need a second mic and the amp is as bare bones as they come. Can't bring it with me to IGC, too big and heavy—but that's a bridge to cross another day.

M

spinland

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 pm

New upgrade for Corbie:

dean1342

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 pm

Looks nice!! :woohoo:

Dean

spinland

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:56 am

dean1342 wrote:
Looks nice!! :woohoo:

Dean

Thankee! Since watching Max do his magic at camp my interest in the wiggle stick has been rekindled. For this style of guitar, though, the retro look seemed more appropriate and I had that Bigsby I'd salvaged from another guitar I've been using for parts. Been fun messing around with it. :side:

M

TGMax

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Looks great Mark! I've been on the hunt for a Gretsch White Penguin with a Bigsby...They're slightly unreliable tremolo systems, but they have such incredible feel and movement that it's worth it. I'd love to hear you play it!

elennon

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi Max

Never really looked at Gretsch guitars before but that is one cool looking guitar. I bet it would sound great in your hands

Eric

spinland

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am

TGMax wrote:
Looks great Mark! I've been on the hunt for a Gretsch White Penguin with a Bigsby...They're slightly unreliable tremolo systems, but they have such incredible feel and movement that it's worth it. I'd love to hear you play it!
Thanks, Max! Yeah, the Bigsby can go out of tune if I romp on it too much; it's more of an "old guy wiggle stick" that's better-behaved with subtle use. No dive-bombing on the 339! :silly:

I'm slowly re-assembling my recording gear in the basement where I've been moving my music stuff; it's a process that has a lot of competition for my time. I want to get back into recording myself singing and playing both acoustic and electric; it'll come! :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic