Upgrading the Spincaster

spinland

Wed May 23, 2018 7:47 am

The pickups I used for the initial build are just too "hot" for my taste. I'm a recovering acoustic guy at heart (heh) and my idea of a good electric guitar tone doesn't include face-melting power. :S

"Wilde" Bill Lawrence, since passed away, was renowned for his mellow-yet-crystal-clear pickup designs. They used to call him the "Pickup Whisperer" and he taught folks like Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio a lot of what they know about making them. His wife and daughter still run a small business to hand-make them to his designs the Old Skool way (don't be fooled by the Bill Lawrence USA brand, which is a former business partner who basically stole his name) and when you order something it takes weeks to get it. Cheap, too; roughly 25% of what some of the big name boutique brands command.

Here's the Spincaster all loaded up with the new set of Twin Blades:

She sings marvelously, and the success is bittersweet because one of the chief motivations for me designing and building her was to have a single guitar to take to IGC that could cover all the bases I wanted covered.

Next year! :side:

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Thu May 24, 2018 3:42 pm

She's a beaut Mark, that's for sure! How the hell you put something like that together, I don't know.... it so beyond my DIY abilities! :laugh:

Chris

spinland

Thu May 24, 2018 3:46 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
She's a beaut Mark, that's for sure! How the hell you put something like that together, I don't know.... it so beyond my DIY abilities! :laugh:

Chris
Thanks, Chris!

Methinks it comes down to motivation. When I got my first electric guitar, December of 2016, I found myself fascinated by what went into engineering them. The woodworking skill was one thing, but the circuitry is an artistry all its own and one that called to the geek in me. :side:

M

TGNesh

Fri May 25, 2018 9:39 am

He looks great Mark!

And at one point i hope to hear it too. ;)

Edit: Oops, it's a she!! :P

spinland

Fri May 25, 2018 9:41 am

TGVanessa wrote:
He looks great Mark!

And at one point i hope to hear it too. ;)

Edit: Oops, it's a she!! :P
You shall, I promise...and not for Hallelujah. I'll keep that one acoustic, just for you. :side:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic