Guitar Top Voicing / Bourgeois (Dana) Guitar Explains

familyman4

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Hello gang,

Warning: This video last about 45 minutes long. However, I found the information incredibly interesting.

I am not promoting the Bourgeois brand. It just happens to be a very good video that Dana Bourgeois is explaining his process for voicing the top of guitars.

Bart

daryl

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi Bart,

Really interesting video. Thanks for posting it! For some reason, I have the urge to buy a new guitar now.....

Lisa

elennon

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 am

Lisa I have that urge almost every day :-)

wrsomers

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Yes, this is an interesting video, however IMO all this this voicing theory has been totally eclipsed by Andy Powers at Taylor Guitars. Andy has/will make X braced guitars obsolete. I just purchased Taylor's V Class 914ce (the one Andy is playing in this video). It is the most incredible guitar I have ever played! Gone are the days of compensated tuning. One can tune this guitar to perfect equal temperament (no flatting strings to make them almost right when playing in different keys ala James Taylor). And...and...you get huge volume, projection and sustain. Anyone thinking about buying a new guitar owes it to them self to try a Taylor V Class. Andy Powers is an absolute guitar genius!

familyman4

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Hello Bill,

Congratulations on your new 914CE V Braced guitar! I had the chance to play one early this year and loved it. However, I opted for the new K14ce V-Braced Builders edition. It is actually the guitar that Tony (playing with Andy) is playing in the video you posted. The K14 is very special too and is a blast to play. It is a unique guitar with many characteristics that I am very happy with.

I simply love learning from every person I can about this wonderful instrument....

Cheers!

Bart

michelew

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:13 pm

If you’re quick, you may have a chance to win one. Taylor is running a competition.

Unfortunately, being from Oz, I’m not eligible.

Good luck! :)

wrsomers

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 am

Thanks Bart. Congratulations on the K14ce. That is an awesome guitar too. I went to Taylor’s road show with that guitar in mind. After comparing them both, I opted for the rosewood. I found the koa to be not as bass resonant for my ear. I was told the koa would open up over time, I’m sure it will, I just don’t know if I have enough time for that to happen :laugh: . Anyway enjoy that guitar. Cheers!
Bill

michelew

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:44 am

wrsomers wrote:
Yes, this is an interesting video, however IMO all this this voicing theory has been totally eclipsed by Andy Powers at Taylor Guitars. Andy has/will make X braced guitars obsolete. I just purchased Taylor's V Class 914ce (the one Andy is playing in this video). It is the most incredible guitar I have ever played! Gone are the days of compensated tuning. One can tune this guitar to perfect equal temperament (no flatting strings to make them almost right when playing in different keys ala James Taylor). And...and...you get huge volume, projection and sustain. Anyone thinking about buying a new guitar owes it to them self to try a Taylor V Class. Andy Powers is an absolute guitar genius!

Bill thanks so much for posting this video. I enjoyed every second of it including the explaination about Andy getting his inspiration from the ocean. I loved the technical aspects too which he explains in such a down to earth way and of course ... the guitar sounds amazing.

I’d love to hear Neil’s take on it, especially whether it delivers the intonation revolution that Andy talks about.

Of course I’d love to play one. That would be a bif tease. :) Actually the whole video makes me want to get back to playing and taking it seriously.

Thanks!

M

wrsomers

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:55 am

You’re welcome M. Andy is someone special. I can personally attest to the intonation. I have never been able to tune a guitar to perfect pitch and had it sound right, until now!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic