Taylor V-class Bracing

guitarturtle

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 am

The new V-class bracing from Taylor. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the X bracing to the V-class bracing? Looking to purchase one soon and wondered if it’s worth the wait or not. Vanessa, I noticed that you play a Taylor in a number of your guitar lesson videos. Maybe you've had a chance to compare the two systems first hand? Thanks.

wrsomers

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Turtle,
There are at least two of us on this forum that have one, me and Bart, aka familyman4. I’ll let Bart speak for himself, but I’ll tell you there is a huge difference between the x braced Taylor’s and the V Class models. Please refer to the forum discussion about guitar top voicing posted a couple weeks ago on this forum. Not only are they louder and easier to play ( tone and volumewise), they have incredible sustain and intonation. The only caveats I can think of...they are so responsive, your mistakes will be more noticeable, and also you might want to use strings that are less bright, at least on the rosewood/spruce models. You’ll have to ask Bart about the K14, which has Koa back and sides, but from my experience with the K14, it takes some time before they open up and give you the awesome bass tone of the 914ce (the one I have). I would highly recommend you try them for yourself. They are not for everyone. In my opinion, they will replace x braced guitars in the future. I think Bob Taylor and Andy Powers feel the same.
Cheers,
Bill

guitarturtle

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

I've been to various music shops and test drove everything from the 314ce to the 914ce. I was debating between the 714ce Grand Auditorium and 716ce Grand Symphony but don't want to wait a couple years before they roll out the latter. So I got in contact with Jonathan Ortiz at Taylor and his comments are: " We haven't rolled out or even starting the R&D and tooling to start producing the Grand Symphony models with the V-class bracing yet. It was first implemented in the Grand Auditorium models, with the Grand Concert models following up next year. We still don't have an ETA of when we'll start making the Grand Symphonies with the V-class bracing yet."

I just wanted to know if the difference was truly that profound. And it sounds like it is. The online video comparisons offer some insight but often difficult to tell even with earbuds. Thanks you for your first hand account between the two bracing set-ups. And yes, I think you're spot on with the transition from X to V-class bracing. ...I had made up my mind on purchasing a Taylor guitar, then I saw their Ebony Project - done deal! I like their approach, mindfulness and management of the forest. ...odd coming from a guy who lives in the Pacific Northwest :cheer: .

vzg14

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 pm

I have had the opportunity to try both the K14ce Builder's Edition and the 914ce. Upon playing both guitars, I could tell that there was a presence there that I had not experienced before in a Taylor guitar. Both played exquisitely. I especially loved the K14's rounded edges that give the guitar a more comfortable feel but to my ears, the 914 really blew me away and would have been my choice. Possibly the only reason why I don't own one today is the hefty price tag that they each carry. They are just a bit out of my reach.

To answer your question though, I will say that a guitar buddy of mine (carolm242) and I had an opportunity to play two 814ce's recently, one that was V-braced and the other that was X-braced. We did the old "Coke vs. Pepsi" blind test and compared the tone of both guitars, meaning I faced the guitar with my eyes closed while someone else was playing and I had no idea which guitar was which. We put both guitars through their paces, meaning we played both up and down the neck, finger picking, flat picking and strumming. We tested both concepts of intonation and sustain. We switched often but kept track between which guitar was Guitar A and which was Guitar B. Although neither guitar swept all categories, to my surprise I found myself preferring the X-braced guitar overall. Carol and I reversed roles and came to the same conclusion. The X-braced guitar was the overall winner.

In discussion with some dealers, the general opinion seems to be that the high priced models are truly exceptional, but as Taylor starts rolling out the V-class bracing pattern down the production line to the lower models it really becomes a toss up. So I guess the moral of the story is to let your own ears decide. Heck, you may even find some nice deals on the X-braced guitars as dealers want to "roll out the old" and stock up on the new "hip" models. You may even find current X-brace owners wanting to offload "yesterday's" model.

-Victor

dottmcse85630

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Last evening I stopped by the neighborhood guitar store. Tried on of the new V brace 714ce. Oh my what a lovely girl she is!
Tone, sustain, quality I just couldn't put her down, but then practicality (not my wife) SCREAMED in my ear sayin' "You cannot take this home"
Now I am longing. Maybe someday!

Dennis

guitarturtle

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Good stuff all around. I liked Victor's "Coke vs. Pepsi Challenge" approach - let your ears decide.

I will put up a post late next week as my Taylor 714ce is en route and somewhere currently in Laramie, WY. I plan to go back to the local music shop where I played the X-class braced guitars and do a side-by-side with the guitar tech, Jarad. He hasn't been able to get a V-class instrument in stock and was curious to compare the two ( hear/not hear the difference in bracing).

From what I have gathered so far (forums, online, etc...), it sounds like the guitars are really close to each other and both excellent instruments. Maybe it's as simple as to how an individual plays?

More next week!

TER

wrsomers

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:06 am

Hey TER,
I’m wondering if you got your new guitar yet. I was interested to read Victor’s review/Coke-Pepsi test. He is absolutely correct that guitar preference is in the ear of the beholder. I think the one thing that cannot be denied is the near perfect intonation of the V Class.

I am totally anal about “ in-tune-ness” and have never been happy about the compensated tuning necessity of flat top acoustic guitars. With the V Class guitar, that is no longer an issue. The next time you have one in your hands, try this test...tune each string to perfect 440 tuning, then play an open E and then an open A, the B string will sound correct for both chords, not something I’ve experienced with any X braced guitar I’ve ever played.

Anyway, I wish you the best on your guitar journey.

Bill

guitarturtle

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Bill.

YES! My Taylor714ce arrived and my finger tips are good 'n' calloused and sore! Great acoustic guitar. I'm able to place the capo all over the neck without tuning issues. Upon receiving the guitar I thought I'd have to take it in for a set-up (shipping, temperature, etc... mess with the intonation), but I'm putting that off as it came to me from Sweetwater Music in really great shape.

The guitar really projects its sound, rich. You can really feel it vibrate the top of the guitar. The Expression 2 electronics in the guitar is the best acoustic amplified sound that I have experienced. I ran it straight through the mixer/PA as well as a Fender Deluxe Reverb '68 amp (custom channel), and it all sounds clean. Very pleased with the purchase. The only thing I haven't had an opportunity to do yet is to see how it holds up in a group setting (drums, electric guitars, bass, etc...). One of the reasons I choose this particular guitar over a Martin, Collins, and others is I think the Taylor will be able to "cut through" and "stand on its own" without muddying the overall sound. The other guitars (...they all sounded great by the way), but the low/middle tones seemed to get muddled a bit where the Taylor seemed better balanced and retained clarity. So again, I haven't been able to test that theory out yet - need to wait until the others are back from vacation and schedule a Jam Night. For reference we play basically classic rock and some blues - Beatles, Carole King, Seals & Crofts, CSN, Collective Soul, Dusty Springfield, REM, The Church, Bob Seger, ....you get the idea.

And yes, I did the 440 tuning you spoke of. All good! Thank you.

TER

wrsomers

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Congratulations on the new guitar TER. I wish you many happy hours with it!

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic