LogJam foot percussion stomper

dottmcse85630

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Has anyone had experience with the LogJam "drum" stomps?

TGNesh

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Hey Dennis,

Actually, i have one. Used it for a bit, and that was it. What somewhat put me off was that you obviously need to amplify it. That's fine in amplified situations such as a concert, live performances etc.. At home i of course don't want too much volume, and then you get more noise out of just simply tapping (with your foot) the box instead of what you hear through the speakers.

In short, it didn't work so well for me. But again, for example at IGC, it could work very well. :)

Ness

jcrocket

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Hey Dennis!

I haven't used a foot percussion pedal myself, but Tommy (the other guitarist in the trio I'm in) has quite a bit of experience with them. He tried the LogJam for a while, but found that it was too "thick", and that using it over the span of a gig got quite tiring. He plays standing up, so it may be different for a seated player.

Here's some of the other ones he's tried:

Kopf ToeKicker I think he had the same issues with this one (uncomfortable over a long gig), plus the signal coming out of it wasn't very loud.

Puck'n Stompa This is the one he's been using at gigs up to now. It's the size and shape of a hockey puck, and puts out a decent bass signal.

Roland SPD One Kick Tommy broke this one out for the first time at practice last night, and I think this will be his go-to for percussion going forward. Unlike the others, this one can produce a variety of sounds, and it has a sleeker profile than any of the others, so fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, good luck! See you in a month.

Jeff

wrsomers

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Dennis,
Before you go out and spend upwards of $200 for something like this, consider making one yourself. This video I found interesting and would definitely try before spending big bucks for something so simple.
Bill

dottmcse85630

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks Bill, yep it sure look like it will do the same for a lot less. So I've ordered the hardware, all $6 of it.
Gonna give this a try.

Dennis

wrsomers

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am

Let us know how it works out :)

spinland

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 pm

FWIW my main percussion aide is a BeatBuddy, along with the 2-button foot switch for adding quick accents and pausing (those functions can be changed). Still not a cheap option but at $200 for a Logjam you start getting into that cost realm.

The BB has a crap ton of drum signatures and kit sounds built in, and you can use a DAW to make your own to taste and load in. Mine lives on my "go board" for my open mic adventures. It came highly recommended by my local guitar instructor and since I got mine I use it almost daily. Lots less work than a stomp you have to manually press for every beat, too.

Just a thought. :silly:

Mark

dottmcse85630

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm

So I just finished building and testing a stompbox. Made from a wooden cigar box and piezo. All for about $8
Sound is good a bit better than I expected.

I'll bring it to camp.

Spinland
I used to have a BeatBuddy but was a bit too complicated for what I was looking for. For me the stompbox should fill the bill nicely, for now.

Dennis

spinland

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:06 am

dottmcse85630 wrote:
I used to have a BeatBuddy but was a bit too complicated for what I was looking for. For me the stompbox should fill the bill nicely, for now.

spinland

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:34 am

You guys have me thinking; that's sometimes a dangerous thing but, in this case, methinks my opportunities for doing serious damage would be limited. :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic