Any tips for holding a classical guitar as a woman?

ellengroom1936852

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 am

I've watched lessons on here and lots of youtube videos on how to hold a classical guitar but they are all of men saying 'you need to get the guitar flat against your chest'!!!!!
I am female and there is nothing flat about my chest :laugh: :laugh:
Does anyone have any tips? My boobs are pretty big and so I'm struggling to get the guitar to feel snug and secure, my right forearm is taking a lot of stress stopping the guitar falling forward, so my hand is less free to move to play the strings...

Maybe I need to hold the guitar at a different angle or something?

Thanks!! :) :)

wiley

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:42 am

While I am male gender, may I suggest one or both a ‘raised’ foot stand, and google (Amazon) and look at several varieties of “guitar knee rest”.

Best of luck.

michelew

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Ellen,

I am a woman (proof below :) ), but in truth even at my biggest I’ve never been well endowed in the boob department. :woohoo: I also have a long-ish body; I’m not little. But, I hold my guitars in the classical guitar position by resting the round in the guitar’s bottom side on my left leg and angling it back and tucking the right corner under my right arm. I also find it helpful to raise my left leg using a footstool as Wiley suggested. Using this position, my hands are free. I’m not having to hold the guitar in place; gravity does the trick. And the neck is raised so it’s easier to fret, especially barre chords.

See the photo below.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... C49F2.jpeg

Good luck. I hope you find this helpful.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic