On a mission to befriend fingerpicks

michelew

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:31 pm

Chris,

You’re right! My favorite music store is 40 minutes each way in weekend traffic. That’s.... what? Like going to another country where you are... so I really should make the most of it next time :p. Excellent point my friend.

Shel

Oh, and to answer your question, I’m revisiting an old favorite. If I can get it back in good shape using fingerpicks (and fix my slide issues) I may just post it. It calls for a slightly deeper voice than mind, so I may ask you to help. :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:00 am

Hmmmm, I wonder what song.... glad to help out any time my dear... :)

wrsomers

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:04 am

michelew

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks Bill. That’s interesting. I haven’t seen it before. Seems like a bit of work each time you sit down to play and not something that you can easily take on and off; but maybe it’s not as intrusive as other finger picks and therefore you don’t notice them as much once they’re on.

Do you use the technique or still the nail treatment (with the thin paper stuff and ‘lacquer’) you’ve told us about before?

Cheers

M

wrsomers

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Hey M! Thanks for responding. I've been on a long journey with nails/picks/acrylics, etc. I gave up on the French Wrap Gel treatment a long time ago, it just didn't work because they were too weak and temporary. I switched to DIY acrylics for awhile and had success but also found that this method weakened my natural nails. Made them very thin and brittle. After that I tried Tiptonics, a very pricey method where you attach removable Delrin picks to your nails (web link posted below). They work but the medical adhesive used to attach them to your nails wears out and you have to buy new nails to get the same adhesion. At $7.50 US a pop, that s way too expensive. I also had some failures with them; they would come off in the middle of a set...not a good thing. Also as the Tiptonic nails are long, I didn't get the best feel for the strings.

The Tiptonic website is https://www.tiptonic.com/

I am now back to natural nails. While I was waiting for my natural nails to get strong again, I played using just the tips of my fingers (Tommy Emmanuel style). That method worked and I actually liked it because my feel for the individual strings was very strong and accurate.

I have strengthened my nails by drinking white grape juice mixed with fruit pectin. Not only are my nails stronger but my knees and other joints are doing well. Seems the pectin promotes cartilage/nail health.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/10 ... arthritis/

As far as the wire pick method, I think that after a certain amount of practice, putting them on and taking them off wouldn't be that difficult or time consuming.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bill

michelew

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Bill.

Thanks for the extra info. I really should try the pectin and grape juice solution. Actually you mentioned it last time, but now I’ve got even more reason to try it.

Thanks again. Happy playing.

M :)

TGNesh

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:01 am

:kiss: :kiss: :cheer:

michelew wrote:

If you don’t find a source of Propik f-tones, next time I’m at my favorite music store I’ll pick some up for you.
Shel
Edit: Now what do you know, i've just done another extensive search, and i found them! :cheer: Actually, i have one Boston Metal fingerpick, but the Propik one seems alike. Anyway, i ordered the Propik ones. My nails are in really bad shape, so i can't wait for them to come in, and hopefully they'll do the trick permanently. :)

michelew

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi Ness,

That’s great. I hope you love them.

I’m liking the F-tones more and more (sounds like a tough boy quartet :) ). Which is good because I just broke another nail.

Hi!

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic