NBD (New Bass Day)!

spinland

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am

Had my first in-person bass lesson last night. In addition to the instructor working me hard, he's keeping my electric bass for a few days in order to do a full setup on it. I did my best setting the action and intonation but it's not up to his standards and needs some professional TLC.

In the interim, I have a loaner from him, and I also ordered a "U-Bass," which is basically a bass ukulele. They're affordable, sound killer good, and one will be a perfect fit for the mainly-acoustic open mic events where I'll be accompanying various acoustic players. Plus they're just cool and fun!

https://kalabrand.com/collections/all-u-bass/products/black-journeyman-mahogany-u-bass

In typical fashion, thanks to my connection with the owners of the local music store, I didn't pay full retail. Mine should arrive this Friday. :side:

crieniecat

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Wishing you the loads of fun Mark!
Give it a good blast B) :woohoo:

Corina.

spinland

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Thanks, Corina!

I've begun a collaboration with a young lady who shares my admiration for Heart music. She has the vocal and acoustic rhythm chops to do their work proud, and I'm working up to being able to accompany her on bass and vocally. It's exciting! :side:

spinland

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:46 am

Looks great, sounds better. Scheduled the first practice session with the young lady I'll be collaborating with; got a few days to get familiar with the material before we start practicing it. :side:

spinland

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi, guys!

Sorry to be such a stranger lately. Typical refrain: busy as with work and trying to keep current enough musically to pull off weekly open mics.

Big development! For the past couple of weeks I've been working with a young lady with great acoustic guitar and vocal chops, with an idea of us playing as a duo act (me playing on the UBass and singing). She's got a 3-hour gig in 3 weeks along with another guitarist and asked me to sit in as their bass player. Yikes!

Gonna do it, but am rather nervous. Gonna be hitting the bass practice sessions lots harder for a while. :ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic