Who can beat this? What’s the longest song title in YOUR song library?

michelew

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi everyone!

I hope you’re all doing great. I may post a separate thread later to see what people are up to.

But, this thread is all about ridiculously long song names.

In Neil’s written intro to his latest news pod casts when recapping lessons for the week he states “... an Elvis tune with one of the longest names in history I Want You, I Need You, I Love You ”. That’s nine words, 35 characters.

BTW - Hi Neil!

After reading that I thought, “one of the longest... I reckon I can beat that by looking in my library”.

And - yep! “Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey”. It was just sitting in the small library on my phone.

So who’s got a longer one? Who can beat 10 words and 57 characters, just from the song titles in your own song library? I reckon we can work up a good list just from our own mobile devices, but feel free to go crazy and bring any other crazily-long titles you find; except the wiki ones where the artist seems to just launch straight into lyrics, but calls it a song title instead. ;)

Let the scans begin!

Ciao for now.

M

daryl

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm

I can't beat it.

My long-ish titles are:

The Knack: I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock and Roll
The Beatles: You Know My Name Look Up the Number
Paul Thorn: Where Was I When You Stopped Loving Me
Janis Ian: I'll Give You A Stone If You'll Throw It (Changing Times)
Bob Dylan: Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

michelew

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:21 pm

Others:

- Buffalo Springfield - Do I Have To Come Right Out and Say It; 10 words (mostly little), 38 characters.
- Elton John - I Guess that’s Why They Call It the Blues; 9 words, 42 characters
- Nina Simone - Black is the Colour of My True Love’s Hair; 9 words, 42 characters
- Eva singing - It Don’t Mean a Thing (if it ain’t got that swing)

They are pretty long. How long is “to be avoided” do you think? Seven words, thirty characters? I wonder. :)

M

7645slug

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 pm

“Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict” – Pink Floyd / Ummagumma

77 letters (not counting spaces) and 16 words

--tom g

michelew

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Excellent example Tom. Yep I definitely reckon that one fits in the ‘stupidly-long’ category. B)

They must have had a giggle when creating it. :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :P

TGNeil

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 am

7645slug wrote:
“Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict” – Pink Floyd / Ummagumma

--tom g
Good work Tom! That was the first one that came to my mind when Michele posed the question. Which reminded me of Grantchester Meadows, a song I thought about doing a lesson on years ago if anybody was interested. I figured you might be one of the few who remembered that one.

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Ok, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Do it to me one more Time, How can we Hang on to a Dream - Tim Hardin, I'll have to say I love You in a Song - Croce (Corina)

Me: Rainy Days and Mondays always get me Down, You took the words right out of my Mouth - Meatloaf

7645slug

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 pm

michelew wrote:
Excellent example Tom. Yep I definitely reckon that one fits in the ‘stupidly-long’ category. B)

They must have had a giggle when creating it. :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :P
I assume that they had more than just a giggle when they recorded the song.

7645slug

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:25 pm

TGNeil wrote:
7645slug wrote:

--tom g
Good work Tom! That was the first one that came to my mind when Michele posed the question. Which reminded me of Grantchester Meadows, a song I thought about doing a lesson on years ago if anybody was interested. I figured you might be one of the few who remembered that one.

Neil
Is that a reference to my age Neil, or some other peculiarity of mine? Grantchester Meadows would be an interesting lesson, I say you go for it.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:42 pm

She Was Waitin' For Her Mother At The Station In Torino And You Know I Love You Baby But It's Getting Too Heavy To Laugh (or "Woman")

25 words, 96 letters, and the whole album (Shawn Phillips - Second Contribution) is very well worth a listen :)

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic