2019 Challenge - Mississippi John Hurt - Chops for breakfast

michelew

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:29 pm

TGMax wrote:
For those that are interested in a challenge, I propose a mini fingerpicking contest if anybody is up for it. The Mississippi John Hurt songs offer a wide range of challenging rhythms and patterns to play and can really improve your chops if you're so inclined. I'd love to see some video submissions on some cool fingerpicking stuff.

Max has thrown down the gauntlet. Bring out your Mississippi John Hurt chops.

There are lots of MJH lessons in the library; including a recent one from Max which I’ll start looking at this evening.

I’ll be starting from scratch. This style of fingerpicking isn’t in my skill set yet. But I’m going to give it a go. Who’s with me? If you’re like me, I suggest you might get involved by posting a progress video. :)

I’ve got a feeling we might just see Lynn. :) well I hope so anyway.

I look forward to seeing who steps up to the mic and what you have in your bag of tricks. :)

Have fun

Shel

TGMax

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 pm

Awesome!!!! :)

michelew

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:23 pm

Max I started looking at this last night and it’s definitely going to take me a little while to be able to play anything even half decent. I’m returning from a pretty long hiatus and I’m needing to build my callouses again too (ouch!). But I can see how this helps me improve as a finger picker.

Others reading this, is anyone tempted to respond to Max’s challenge? Even just thinking about it and waiting to have the time? Or are you all keeping your powder dry until you blow us away with your big reveal? :) please excus the mixed metaphor. :)

Shel

michelew

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Confession, I’m completely distracted with other projects (and work) and I don’t think I’ll be getting back to learning this any time soon; yet alone recording something.

So I’m withdrawing my promised submission. :) I did enjoy trying MJH’s style a little. Thanks for the challenge Max.

Has anyone else checked out one of the MJH lessons or just played his stuff after reading this thread? I’m not asking you to post a video, I’m just curious as to whether others were inspired to play a MJH tune due to Max throwing down the gauntlet.

M

jayswett

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:00 pm

I took a crack at Spike Driver Blues a couple of months ago, and did make some progress. Of course, I got distracted with other things. I'll get back to it after I've managed to post a video on The Last Steam Engine Train.

michelew

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi Jay

Thanks for responding. It will be great to see your renditions when you’re ready to post something.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic