The 2019 Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster

spinland

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:59 pm

I shared a pic elsewhere of my playing my new favorite ride, and had a question about it, so thought maybe it'd be useful to expound here.

Here's a picture:

It's a legit Telecaster, but with a thinline acoustic body (you can see the sound hole). It's resonant enough to play solo for practice but, unsurprisingly, the body doesn't project as well as a proper acoustic when playing unplugged.

The real magic is in the three pickups. I already posted about my Air Guitar, that's all but dead silent unless plugged in; this one has a piezo pickup in similar wise, as well as a standard Telecaster electric pickup, and a body resonance pickup like you'd find in some higher-end acoustics.

There's also a computer modeling system built in and, with the five-way blade switch coupled with a mod knob, you can dial in ten different tones. Seven are pure acoustic (both dreadnoughts and parlor guitars), one is a combined acoustic+electric (like John Lennon's custom double-tracked guitar) and two are pure electric Telecaster. The core acoustics are a Martin D-28 and an un-named mahogany parlor that I expect is also a Martin. The guitar's chief designer used to work for Taylor (he masterminded the T5) and I suspect the acoustics on the second blade setting are Taylor-inspired. They ain't telling. For each blade position you can use the mod knob to blend any combination of the two associated guitars so, for example, you can play a Martin D28 dread but with some added midrange from a parlor in the mix.

It comes stock with acoustic strings, and I play it direct into the house PA system with no amplification or distortion effects; there's no need, with all the tones already built in.

Just like most amplified acoustics you need an internal power source for the acoustic pickups. In this case instead of a 9V battery it has a rechargeable lithium ion that's good for about 20 hours of play on a 4 hour charge.

I'm still primarily an acoustic-style player but will very soon be branching into more electric-style stuff and, with this guitar, I can handle the whole breadth of playing styles with one axe. It handles effects pedals into an electric amp quite well, and the Telecaster electric twang is all there. :side:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 am

Interesting guitar Mark! Thanks for the info. Brings to mind a German sprichwort:

Die Eierlegende Wollmilchsau!

Which translates to: The egg-laying-wool-milk-swine! It does it all!

Chris

spinland

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:27 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Die Eierlegende Wollmilchsau!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

spinland

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:26 am

New guitar deserves a color-coordinated strap, no?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic