Mics for guitar and voice

dtaylor

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I'm in the market for a new mic set-up and wondered if anyone has any recommendations or advice.
I was gifted a Panasonic Handycam and I'm thinking of just getting a mic that plugs straight into that; or is it better to get a set-up that plugs into the computer, or am I getting into DAW territory? What about having separate mics for guitar and vocal?

willem

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:56 am

familyman4

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks for the post Willem! The video is worth the time it takes to watch it. Really good info in a short period of time.

tombo1230

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:05 pm

His video really says all you need to know to start recording. I've been doing this for 10 years.
I use a two input analogue to digital converter. I have an S1 mic that he mentions and an sm58.
I record into my DAW which is Cubase. If I am recording a video, then video and sound is recorded onto the camera memory card
and I usually record one input to the DAW as vocals via a mic and guitar in the other input via a cable, or I sometimes use a wifi connection from my guitar to the DAW.
Once I have captured the guitar and vocals and have the levels set and any effects on, I send the audio to my video editor software in wav or flac form and add it to the camera pictures and sound.
I use the camera sound to sync up the DAW sound I recorded and either delete or turn down the camera sound, leaving the nice mixed DAW sound synced to the video pictures.
The rest is presentation, If for instance I take a video from Vanessa and add my daughter singing with her, then that is similar process, just more levels of video, picture in picture.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic