While TG is under construction, which older lessons are you discovering?

auntlynnie

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:22 am

When TG is running in its normal mode with lessons coming out once or twice a week, I can't even keep up just looking over all the new material being presented. However, during this site construction project it has given me a chance to wander through the older lessons. And there's a lot of them - I have no idea how many (somewhere between 500 - 1000?) - too many to count anyway. And I'm wondering if other TGers are doing the same? What are you working on?
Here are the ones I've found, dusted off, and hit play:
Dear Prudence I only recently watched the movie Across The Universe and it reignited my interest in adding a few more Beatles songs to my songlist. Dear Prudence is a song I never much noticed before, at first I thought it was simply a sing along song, and at first I just grabbed the chords from a songbook, but after watching the lesson, I discovered what a beautiful guitar song it is.
Harvest Moon A surprisingly sweet love song of Neil Young's (I never think of him as a composer of love songs). Again, really pretty guitar licks - I just need to listen to the song another hundred times to get the map.
Streets of London by Ralph McTell - this one at the request of a friend who I play guitar with. I had heard of this song many times, but probably only heard the song once or twice, and I guess now is the right time because I love playing and singing it!
Don't Think Twice It's Alright by Bob Dylan - Good fingerpicking practice - I can't play it nearly as fast as recommended, but it sounds good at a slower tempo, too.
So I'm interested in hearing what older lessons anyone is digging into.
Lynn

sandysue

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:27 pm

Since TG is under reconstruction I have looked back on a lot of the older lessons. I’m really enjoying Neil Young songs. He’s become one of my favorites.
I also started learning the song I Can’t Make You Love Me. I’m trying to get it ready for IGC this year. :)

Sandy :)

jayswett

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Buckets of Rain

jayswett

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:41 pm

Next up: Little Martha, and after that, Signe

thereshopeyet

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:38 pm

I've been looking at Flat Picking Songs:

I think I'll have a look at Here Comes The Sun next.

Dermot

jayswett

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:11 am

Two questions:

1) Is the video uploader working? I 'm thinking now is a good time for everyone to consider uploaded some videos for review, given what I'm guessing is some down time many of us.

2) When will the website be revamped? Is there a timeline for completion? If this has been discussed already, I missed it.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Jay

TGNeil

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:10 am

Hi Jay,

Great questions and points. Not sure about the timeline right now but I think I can come up with a solution for Reviews, probably by using a public Dropbox, setting up a new YT channel, and loading them in myself for everybody. I don't think this would be any trouble at all and I will get with the staff on the idea later today.

Neil

jayswett wrote:
Two questions:

1) Is the video uploader working? I 'm thinking now is a good time for everyone to consider uploaded some videos for review, given what I'm guessing is some down time many of us.

2) When will the website be revamped? Is there a timeline for completion? If this has been discussed already, I missed it.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Jay

khoffm

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:45 pm

I've been working on 'You Can Close Your Eyes", by James Taylor. Never really listened to the song until a friend suggested we play it together. So glad to find Neil has a complete lesson on it.

auntlynnie

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:55 am

Hi Kurt,
I think that's one of the many advantages of playing music with others and sharing songs. Learning new (old) songs we've heard for years, but never really learned the lyrics, etc. So much great music to discover and now maybe we have time to actually do that. Maybe you'll post a video?
Cheers,
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic