How are you doing? Check in here......

auntlynnie

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:25 am

Just wondering how everyone is doing?
It is pretty quiet here in the Washington DC suburbs. We are not on lockdown yet, but expect that may happen sometime soon, and we have been staying pretty isolated and close to home for the last week. We have our 30 yo daughter with us for the duration. She is adding harmonies to some of the songs that we (bass playing husband, Steve) and I are playing.
TG is such a worldwide community - I hope folks will stop by and let us know how you are faring.
Stay safe and well,
Auntlynnie

familyman4

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Hello Lynn and All of TG.

I am very happy t hear that you & Steve will be at IGC this year! I will bring you another cigar.. B)

So, in the ever changing world in which we live in (James Bond song, Live and let die) we are trying to adapt to the new normal. Although this can't remain normal forever. I believe that humans are suppose to be around other humans. For me especially, I thrive on being around people and communicating on a daily basis. For my work, I have been asked to stop traveling and not to go into my office. So, I am doing what I can from home to stay productive. A lot of telephone and email work. At least we live in an age where we can stay productive to a certain extent through technology.

As for music, yes I am playing a bit more. Mostly in the evenings because I simply have trained myself to work during the day and play during evening hours. I will stay with this mindset until the day I retire I suppose.?.

Thankfully, there is so much on TG that it really isn't hard to find something to work on. Even with the sites "new lesson slowdown" because of the updates happening behind the scenes, that doesn't bother me too much because:
A) I know the updated site has been a long time coming
B) There is plenty to work on and
C) The upgrades to the site will bring in a larger customer base and help TG remain relevant for many years to come in this modern world of technology!

I consider myself very lucky to have found TG 10 years ago (or so) and continue to learn from Neil & the other instructors & participants along the way. Not to mention the outstanding friendships that I have gained because of the relationships of the members. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Stay safe, wash your hands and try to keep 6 feet apart from each other while you jam with friends in your park or back yard!

Bart

tjwatson10167

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi Lynie,

I'm about 70 miles West of Seattle in a town called Sequim. We aren't on required to stay in place yet either....but I think it will happen. My wife Theresa and our dog Ruby stay close to home and walk the neighborhood roads. Its fairly rural in my neighborhood, so real nice walking and the weather has been spring like..

Getting more guitar playing to keep my spirits up and hopefully learn some new tunes. Looking forward IGC in September as well. Sure nice to hear from you.

See ya,

Ted

ptraeger

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi Lynn, Bart and Ted,

In Illinois we have been ordered to stay at home for two weeks, and we have actually been practicing this for 10 days already.

So my wife and I have been trying to stay positive and make the time productive. We have been trying to exercise everyday, be it a long walk or use some of the weights and fitness equipment we have at home. The weather in Chicago is warming up so this allows more time to be outside. We are also cleaning out closets which we have neglected for years.

We are also starting to binge watch some TV shows we never took the time to watch. We are interested in comedies since we can use the laugh. So we are watching Parks & Recreation and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The challenge has been keeping our son, who is a junior in high school , off his screen. The kids are now doing school online, but this week is his spring break and unfortunately he cannot hang out with friends.

I am trying to focus guitar time on learning more theory and triad forms to help with soloing. Also spent some time today teaching my son a few chords.

Hopefully this situation will start to abate in a few weeks and we can start to return to a more normal life.

I hope all of you stay healthy!

Pete

jcrocket

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi all -

Greetings from Ohio, where the Governor just put us all in time out for the next couple weeks. Sounds like the story is similar everywhere. We’re all getting a big ol’ dose of perspective on things we took for granted just days ago but are conspicuously absent now. As always, one doesn’t have to look very far to find folks in far more dire circumstances.

Everyone stay healthy out there, keep on strumming, be neighborly from a distance, and wash those hands!

Jeff

TGNesh

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:54 am

Great to hear from you folks, and thankfully all still relatively fine too.

Over here in the Netherlands things feel pretty weird, even though I'm getting used to a new normal pretty quickly....Since i work from home in general, things haven't changed much. But of course now i teach all my students through video calls, which is thankfully not new for me either. And meeting up with friends and family is with modern technology easy.

Other than that, the sun is shining, and I have my daily walks with my dog. I live in a kinda quiet and spacious neighbourhood, so it's not hard to keep my distance to anyone who happens to be on the street.

My work at the gym (I coach CrossFit) is shut down of course, but I'm lucky that I'm allowed to train there anyway, by myself that is. So I do that on a daily basis, early afternoon, as well.

It has taken a while for some dutch folks to take this 'thing' seriously. (This past weekend the beaches and parks etc. were crowded since the sun is shining... :ohmy: :angry: ) As a consequence we're on several restrictions until June 1st. :blink: We're stróngly 'advised' to stay home and to keep 6 ft distance in any given situation. You can get a fine if you don't follow up on the latter in particular.

Of course i also play the guitar a lot, but that isn't new either. ;) Not neccessarly working on TG lessons, since I don't know whenever things are ready to roll again over here.

Anyway, all good here still and I'm surely making the most of it.

It was really great to hear from you guys and Lynn, and what you're up to during this crazy crisis...

Take care everyone!

Ness

dtaylor

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:38 pm

It's weird and other-worldly in the UK, who knows how this will all turn out,..
I've been obsessing about a not too old lesson - Forever Love. It's weird how a song will grip you for reasons you can't quite put your finger on, but I'm glad it does, from time to time. I hope to get to recording a version soon.
Hope everyone is safe and enjoying their family time. I think the benefits are going to far outweigh the negatives when this all shakes out :) Stay positive.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:46 am

Hi everyone, nice to hear from everyone who's posted here. I guess we are all singing the same song on our restricted lives at the moment. I'm holding my breath for a while as I lost all my income with the shut-down two weeks ago :( . Luckily, we have the wonders of TG :) . With so many amazing lessons here, no one has any excuse to be bored! I am revisiting songs I never got around to and warming up all the ones I have been playing for years. All my guitars are getting quite some playing time and they are all cleaned, oiled and polished with new strings :) The Santa Cruz strings Neil sent a while back sound wonderful on my BSG! Unfortunately, for the second winter running, a blocked nose and cold like symptoms (I know! :dry: ) have kept me from singing for months on end, so that's a bummer.

Maybe folks get the time to post something they are working on or a song or two to keep our spirits up :) . Be well and look after everyone around you, in times like these (do I hear Dan Fogelberg in the background?), small kindnesses go a long way! But I'm preaching to the choir here at TG!

Chris in Swiss

dekotaj

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:43 am

Sorry folks my fault..I retired fab 29. And the whole world stop working.Stock market chased. And then a pandemic. Not bad for the first month of retirement .

Be safe everyone.

P.S. anyone heard from sis? wild fires, then floods and now this.

Hope thing are good over there. Drop a line sis.

wiley

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:40 am

I've been retired some 9 years now, so the 'isolation' part, at least for myself, isn't all that bad. The wife however has been in her new 'home office' since the 17th,
That has, on both of our parts, taken some adjustment. Our eldest Grand Daughter was out for an extended visit when the 'stay at home' stuff came down, She's still here.

Our youngest is an RN, and specializes in Wound Care. So far she hasn't been asked to step out as a 'floor' nurse even though she had a couple of years prior working in ICUs. Simply put, the case load hasn't gotten, as of now, bad enough for those types of things to happen. Not here locally, Hopefully will not. She does practice 'worst case scenario' in her job and at home. She also keeps all of us informed. Wash those hands folks!

Donna made a trip to our local Costco early this morning, they open the doors at 8am for 60+, they are rationing certain items, toilet paper, paper towels. bottled water. and other such items. Gas and Diesel prices are way down, both vehicles are topped off yet the truck has left the driveway for a 1 mile round trip twice in the last couple of weeks. I myself haven't been out, since I'm diabetic the kids and wife stay on me pretty good. Not a problem really. I do know the air traffic above us still goes on, yet I would have to say its fairly scarce compared to before.

As for music, I still remain interested in writing, I am working on finding and using chords and runs all over the neck instead of sticking to the old "Cowboy Chords" some of it, for me, isn't all that hard - I did and still do practice the notes on the neck on a daily basis. Makes things a lot easier.

The Guitar League of Dallas/Ft.Worth has been cancelled, the venue is following the regulations set forth by the City of Irving and Dallas County. Our favorite Tex-Mex restaurant does drive up so that's a once a week problem solved. Funny, the governor allowed mixed/alcohol drinks to be delivered on 'take out' or curbside pickup. Somehow or another the good old Texas "Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco" decided they could sell the mix without the alcohol in them, then sell the required alcohol as an 'add-on' .

I wish the best for everyone out there, stay safe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic