On The Beat - Episode 675 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up September 30, 2022

TGNeil

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:05 pm

September 30, 2022

We have been listening to a lot of jazz around here recently, partly inspired by a new album from a friend of mine, Jim Witzel, with more on him in the update. I started the video with a short run through of Manha de Carnaval, the main theme from the movie Black Orpheus. It uses a lot of standard jazz chord shapes, which are typically voiced differently from what we learn as beginners. That was the basis of today's tip, which may be a bit confusing. It is probably too much to cover in a mini-lesson.

We got a new lesson from Nesh this week, Do You Remember by Phil Collins. This is another great example of how you can take a piano-based song and transcribe it for the guitar. With a capo at the appropriate spot you can even do it in the original key, which may not be a guitar-friendly key.

So back to Jim Witzel – he wandered into my store in the early 1990s having just finished recording his first album, Give And Take, which was loaded with big-name guest artists. Now here we are, 30 years later, and he has finished his second one, Feelin' It. We have it up and available for sale now at the TG Music Store.

And that is all for September...

Neil

jayswett

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:00 pm

yes, a lesson on Black Orpheus lesson would be great, perhaps in a drip feed form similar to your lesson on the Fisherman by Leo Kottke, who I happened to see live in Lexington, Kentucky two weeks ago. I did learn the Fisherman last Spring but have not uploaded a video for review as i've already been the beneficiary of many many video reviews.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic