Totally Guitars Daily Video News 4/2/10

haoli25

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:07 pm

TGMatt wrote:
What kind of genius would walk along a train track with no room ?? :huh:

Give me a break Matt, it was just that one time and I may have been drinking! :laugh:

thereshopeyet

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks

TGMatt

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 pm

or...jump of the bridge.. :dry:

songman52

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Am I missing something here? We can ascertain that the train is traveling four times the speed of the genius, but aren't we just assuming the genius is going at his maximum speed, which was stated at 10 mph?
If he is moving at 6 mph, and can beat/meet the train at either end "just in time" then the train would be moving at 24 mph.

The only facts we can conclude are that the genius can cover 3/8 of the bridge, whichever direction, in the time it takes the train to reach the bridge. So if he is heading the same direction as the train, he will cover the remaining 2/8 (or 1/4) of the bridge in the amount of time the train will cover the entire bridge, which is 8/8 or 4/4.
The train covers 4/4 of the bridge in the time the genius covers 1/4 of the bridge, so the train is traveling four times the speed, whatever the speed the genius is traveling. Therefore my answer to the question is, the train is traveling four times as fast as the genius, but no faster than 40 mph since the genius' top speed (stated) is 10 mph.

Would I be traveling at MY top speed? You'd better believe it! But it wasn't stated in the problem that the genius was moving at his top speed, only that he CAN run 10 mph, not that he was.

Okay, am I missing something?

By the way, May walked five blocks down the street with her umbrella in her hand, but never opened it, while everyone around her had theirs open and up, and yet she didn't even get wet! Explain this (easy). I'm guessing most of you know this, I'm just trying to demonstrate the same principle with Neil's problem.

Jerry

AndyT

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:43 pm

It's not raining.

michelew

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:16 pm

...or she quickly ducked under the opened ones...or she was walking under the covered bits of the street...or she was wearing a raincoat from head to toe - or as Andy has said it wasn't raining and people had their's open to keep the sun off themselves...

I see your point.

TGMatt

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:40 am

. Image

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:46 am

TGMatt wrote:
. Image
Now this has appeared in several posts is this a subliminal message... And by the way I reckon it was a sunny day and the others had there 'Brollies' up for shade...

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:21 am

Yeah the train is travelling 40MPH but Bill tripped up and fell on the rails and was sliced in two as he left no margin for error, which was a shame 'cos I really liked Bill. This reminds me of conundrums like, why did the chicken cross the road? Because there was at an unexpected train travelling at 40 MPH coming right at him on the pavement one way and the other way there were all these people walking at him with umbrellas up although it wasn't raining and he didn't want to get squished so....

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:25 am

The problem is in NZ we use Kph so we wouldn't have a clue and get squished, yet again in NZ the trains break down regularly so on the other hand we'd probably be safer on the tracks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic