Thank You to TG and Ed Claxton

dieguy

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I just want to throw this out there so all of you know how much your efforts in this section of the forum is appreciated.

I have really been enjoying the clips with Ed Claxton. This gentleman appears to be a real genuine craftsman of the highest order. His philosophies and processes in which he incorporates into his guitar building is extraordinary. I have always wanted to be a Luthier and I just wish I would have followed my dream back when I was a little less encumbered with responsibilities. I tell you if I had seen these clips back in the day my life may have followed a very different track (not necessarily better but definitely different).

I while back there was a thread that asked about How and what would be a good framework and prize for a TG contest. For me there would be nothing that would motivate me more to participate than to get a chance to get an Ed Claxton Guitar. I have never had the chance to play one but getting some insight into the methods used to build them I have no doubt I would cherish this instrument. Better yet, since I am living in fantasy land here, send me off to work with Ed to build my own guitar with him, Now that would be a dream come true for me.

Anyway back to reality, I just want to finish by saying Thank you Ed and Thank you TG for bringing these clips to us. The only thing that could make these clips better for me is if they were longer or more of them. Someday if the finances are available to me I will be purchasing my own Ed Claxton.

Thanks again,

Bill

sbutler

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Well said Bill. I haven't had the dream of being a full time Luthier, but building my own is definitely something that's hanging out there for me.

Maybe with the tips from Ed, that may come true.

Scott

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Bill:

Great comments. I grew up working with wood and it continued into my adult years. These days, it is more cabinetry and home remodels though..... :ohmy: :ohmy:

I have been searching Southern California for Luthier classes, but they seem very hard to come by in my area (surprising considering the number of musicians in the area). Now if I lived up in Northern California (Healdsburg to be precise) I would find several classes available...... :( :(

I do dream about becoming a full time luthier some days, but realize that my interest is likely to never happen since my life is also encumbered with responsibilities. So goes it..... I am researching some kits right now to get my feet wet at home. If I can get through a kit or two, then I think my confidence will improve enough to give it a go from scratch.

I agree about the philosophies and processes that Mr. Claxton incorporates. It has been a very enjoyable series and it has certainly kept my guitar building dreams fresh..... :) :)

Jason

Lavallee

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:15 am

Without being involved into guitar building, I found this segment extremely interesting.

Marc

willem

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:10 am

I did not have the dream to be a luthier,but i build ones a guitar(acoustic) for fun and get some knowledge about it,,it was really fun to do this,,i used some simple woods(and it sounded bad when it was finished),,fun was to to measer out the fretboard and place the frets and you have to make all kind of handy tools by your self(for example,,to bend the woods,,),,i can recommend to do this when when your intrests go that way..

I did not watch the luthier section yet but i certainly go watch it cos i love such documentaire and certainly when they are with great skill and craftsmanship..

pbraun

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 am

I totally agree. I do woodworking as well, guitar building, even changing strings can scare me. But, listening to Ed Claxton shows the calmness it takes to build the guitar he makes, not sure I would have that in me, but these videos sure make me want to try someday!
All of the videos in the Luthiers Corner are just great!
Pete

dieguy

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I like many of you have been woodworking since middle school. I currently work in a profession that I am working with both wood and metal everyday and am thankful for that. Watching these episodes with Ed Claxton has really focused my resolve and I have started to make a plan to realize this goal. I have been doing some internet research and trying to figure out my next step.

Music Junkie (Jason) - It sounds like we have very similar stories, I too have looked for classes locally with little success. I also have looked into some of the kits but am unsure if I want to move in this direction vs starting from scratch. Please keep me updated on your progress, Maybe we can help each other out at some point.

pbraun (Pete) and sbutler (Scott) - Please keep me posted on your progress as well. I think it would be great if we could get several of us working towards and helping each other out on a project like this.

As I move forward with my research and eventually into construction I will keep you all posted. Wish me luck as I feel like I am about to embark on an interesting Journey.

Thanks TG!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic