>> Luthiers Corner - Episode 33 - Body Sizes

TGMatt

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:17 pm

In this episode of Luthier's Corner Mark explains which guitar body size suits certain guitar players.

Hope you enjoy this

Cheers

Matt

http://www.totallyguitars.com/luthiersc ... sizes.html

. Image

sbutler

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

So Neil,

I find this series your doing, very interesting. But I have a question.

I think the last video you released, explained about how the type of woods create different tones.

Now Mark is saying the size and the architecture is what packs the punch.

So could you build a smaller framed guitar, with some really strong sound producing woods, (Brazilian rosewood) and get the same sound affect as a larger, (16") guitar?

Scott

dieguy

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey Scott good question and I wish I had an answer for you. And with all of the research I have been doing lately I truely doubt anybody has a good answer for you. Let me rephrase that, I am sure there are tons of people that say they have your answer but there are 3 times as many people that disagree with them. I am quickly finding out that luthiery is about 15% science and 85% art. From what I can gather the top wood and its bracing are probably the most important factor in term of overall tone. The size and shape have much to do with the volume. The back and sides along with minor tweeks like fretboard material, strings, nut and saddle materials etc bring in the smaller nuances of the overall sound. I think the whole art is putting all of this together in the correct sequence to obtain something the luthier is trying to obtain.

sbutler

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks Dieguy. that seems to make sense.

If I think of the guitar body as an amplifier of sound, then the size or volume of the body would or should make a difference in how much (volume) comes out.

I suppose there are compromises along the way and lot of minor things that can be done to achieve the sound we are after.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic