Nut Job

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:35 am

Hi everyone, I discovered a slight buzz on my Alhambra and thought it might be old string related so first job was to remove strings to replace them. When I did this the Nut fell off completely, I could see the traces where the glue had dried out. So after a bit of research I decided I could fix this myself. I just got started and thought I should make a record of this. Anyway long story short this is from the point where I'd glued and clamped the nut. Now one thing to be certain of is the type of Nut you have otherwise the method showing for Nut removal may not be the best option. If your nut is Butt jointed then ok no worries; however, if it is in a fixed channel I.e. a deep routed groove in the headstock then this method would not be the way to go, what you do with a fixed channel nut is to get a small shim smaller than the Nut side and then place it perpendicular on the Nut and tap it out sideways. If then the Nut doesn't move and is well and truly glued in then you could do the job yourself providing you have a very fine saw. My recommendation take it to your Luthier as the only way to remove it is to finely saw between the Nut and the Fretboard and the Nut and headstock, not for the faint-hearted. If you know it was set originally with Hide glue applying heat onto the Nut may also work but extreme care required as you wouldn't want to damage your pride and joy, again if you don't know what glue was used then off you go top your Luthier.

Bet some of you look at preserves made with Gelatine a bit different now!

And just so you know the guitar is now restrung and no longer buzzes. Many thanks to Frets.com once again.

willem

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:57 am

Thanks Chas,, sometimes i have some buzzings i go check my nut....

tovo

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:08 am

I doubt there is anything wrong with my Taylor but I think I will check my nuts tonight anyway.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:48 am

So if I understood that right: If you are getting a bit of a buzz, check your nuts guys!

MarkM

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 am

Chas thank for taking the time to do this. Great little tip with glueing the side that faces the fretboard. I wouldn't have know that.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:28 pm

tovo wrote:
I doubt there is anything wrong with my Taylor but I think I will check my nuts tonight anyway.
neverfoundthetime
So if I understood that right: If you are getting a bit of a buzz, check your nuts guys!
Onto it guys nothing worse than loose Nuts

BigBear

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:48 pm

tovo wrote:

Ouch!!! roflmao!!! Usually when I hear buzzing it's between my ears!!!! :silly:

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
tovo wrote:
neverfoundthetime
Onto it guys nothing worse than loose Nuts
Edit: If you guys get a Buzz out of hitting Nuts with a bit of wood and a hammer feel free

Hydroman52

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 pm

I think my nut is too small.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic