Help With Neck Conditioniong

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Dan/Rick:

I can always count on you for a sweet bit of info. I would place my 000-15 in the mid-range of models. Not top of the line, but not entry level either. I just read an article stating to use a good polish/cleaner to get all of the goo off of the neck and dry it thoroughly before going "medieval". They also mentioned double checking to see if the lacquer was cured fully. From there, the recommended trying a good carnuba wax (again, no silicones) and buffing it out. If that does not work, then the next step was to use 1000-1500 grit sand paper, lightly, and then wipe clean. If it is good then problem solved. If not, then try the carnuba wax again. If I am still in a pickle, then it is time for a new finish and a UV type would be recommended to prevent this problem in the future. They also threw in there a quick fix can be attained by using Pledge, like Rick mentions. Love all of these home remedies. I figure if there is a problem out there, then someone else has experienced it and fixed it before..... :)

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a have a bit of work ahead of me tonight. Good thing I enjoy that kind of stuff... B)

J

haoli25

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Here's one more thing to try Jason. I have a 'sticky neck' Martin too and I started using "Smith Pro Formula Polish" on the neck and it worked. This polish is instrument safe. (As a matter of fact, it is designed specifically for musical instruments). It is recommended for satin, matte, and even open-pore lacquer finished guitars
I spray the polish onto a clean dry cloth, apply to the neck, let it set for about a minute, then buff it with a microfiber cloth.

Bill

sws626

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Jason,

I've never had this problem with my Martin, but I have read about it and there was someone on the site last year who'd experienced it. I remember a suggestion that a non-destructive approach may be to use a clay bar (the type used for automotive detailing). Here's a link to an example, in case you're not familiar with the concept. This will pick up any impurities embedded in the surface of the finish and should leave a very smooth surface.

-Stuart

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Bill:

I am laughing to myself, cause I jest went to my local store at lunch to look into a good polish/cleaner. The guy I deal with all the time who is a great guy and very helpful led me straight over the the area and told me about Smith's Polish. Only bad part, was that they were out. He swears by it himself and says it has gotten some good results according to other customers. Now I am seeing what I can find online. Thanks!

Stuart:

Interesting stuff there. Seems that stuff would be good to have around for a variety of situations. Thanks!

J

thereshopeyet

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks

Music Junkie

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
[center]Is this what your talking about......
............................................................. ............................I'll give that a miss!!!

Image[/center]
That one might be a bit difficult to re-string after conditioning......LMAO

J

Music Junkie

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 am

Well, I used Dan's concoction to clean the back of the neck really well last night, and it was a marked improvement. I also ordered some Smith's Polish online. Looks like it is on it's way to becoming easier to play.

Only bad part is that while re-stringing, I was graceful enough to jab right underneath the nail on my middle finger of my fretting hand with the cut-off portion of one of the strings. OUCH!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Let's just say that playing last night was a bit timid..... B)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic