Guitar building project

haoli25

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
.......... I would need to invest in many more clamps......
Jason

Jason, in the entire recorded history of the planet, no woodworker has EVER had enough clamps. :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

tombo1230

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Jason,
I'm glad you posted this as I am very interested in luthiery. I didn't know your blog was there. I'm off to catch up on your story, thanks.

Tom N.

sbutler

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Bill,

Two weeks ago I was stuck in Memphis (whoa is me) and I just HAD to go thru the Gibson guitar factory tour.. Memphis Gibson makes the hollow and semi hollow body electric guitar styles at that plant.

The tour did take us through the paint booth and I was amazed to see the color applied with a small airbrush, by hand.

The lacquer that was applied was a special type, (can't remember the name now) but it was flexible enough to expand and contract. I'm sure with a little research you could get the name of it. And it didn't look like rocket science to me. The key is in the polishing wheels after the paint booth. Thats what really made the finish look great.

Scott

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Big thanks to Chris for pointing me in the direction of your Blog. What a fantastic hobby and project. An amazing read and great progress photos. And involving your son is just the icing mate!

I shall be following this with great interest from now on.

Like Chris says we tend to miss Blogs and Walls these days not really sure why... has the novelty worn off? This blog will surely rekindle that.

Bill when do you start taking orders?. Mine will be a 12string please :laugh:

skaladar

Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Hiya Bill,

I too was unaware of your blog and this fantastic project until now. Thanks for posting the update. I gotta say I am blown away. I had to read through your blog a few times to fully absorb it all. I guess I should have started with the first post instead of at the top. Seeing the progress from the project’s inception, through the research, design, purchasing, fabrication and construction has truly been fascinating. Involving your son is just so the thing to do … I’m sure he’ll remember it forever. I, like so many others, am very anxious to see and hear the fruits of your labor when complete. I’ll be watching your blog carefully for updates. Keep up the great work and thanks again for sharing it all with us.

♫ Ken ♫

dieguy

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:14 am

Well I just put up a new update, there are some really good pics on this one.

Hydro, I have not been to either Hoffmans or Olsons shop/store yet. I am planning to do this soon. I was aware of the links you provided. I actually studied many of Hoffmans techniques closely. Olsen seems to be very innovative and getting very popular, I believe James Taylor is playing his guitars now. I would love to get a chance to meet either of them

Bill you are correct, Clamps are more valuable than gold in a woodshop.

Scott, The finish you are reffering to is probably Nitro Cellulose Lacquer. This is the way I am probably going to go as it is a bit tougher than the French Polish (Shellac). I am going to have to decide pretty quick.

Chas, Lets wait to hear what it sounds like before I start taking orders ;-) I hope you enjoyed reading the blog.

Ken, I am glad you enjoyed my Blog. I wish you could view the Blog in chronilogical order more easily. Maybe if Matt or some of the other technical guys on the site will read this and can tweak this view a bit.

Thanks all. All of the positive comments have really recharges my battery. It really has helped me stay motivated.

Bill

lueders

Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:39 am

Bill, you are one cool cat! I too, missed this and I'm glad I'm seeing it now because this just goes way, way beyond impressive!!! You are one talented man. I can't wait to see it completed and the hear sound test (if you are so inclined) Looks absolutely beautiful!!! (Wow, if this doesn't impress a person, nothing will...thanks for laying out the process very very interesting.)

willem

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 am

Bill,,very,very impressive,,,i wonder if free members can follow your blog,,i want to show someone how is very intrest in building guitar as a hobby and you are very detailed and proud you can be..

Maybe you can make your own book????

dieguy

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Lueders and Willem thank you for the kind comments.

For anyone interested I have made an update to my Blog. Not a ton of news as I have entered the finishing process and with the finish I decided on progress is slow. Check it out if interested:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/member-bl ... to-80.html

Now back to the basement to watch a little Twins baseball and add another few coats of finish.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Wow Bill! She's looking beautiful already....can't wait to hear her!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic