>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 80 - Acoustic Guitar Abstract #5 with Neil

TGCheryle

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Acoustic Snapshots is now live with Neil.

Acoustic Guitar Abstract #5 December 9, 2011 This was a few minutes after #4 and I went into a melody borrowed from a song I had heard by Blackmore’s Night, although it was written and originally recorded by the Swedish band Rednex. It took a few turns before returning to the melody at the end.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... act-5.html

willem

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:57 pm

I should call it Phoenix shadow,,thats the palmtree(i geuss) infront/behind of you..what i noticed is there were'nt big stretches..

enjoyed it again...keep ######## coming

lueders

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Geez. I didn't know what to expect when I saw the band "Rednex"...all I knew from them was that techno dance remix of "Cotton Eyed Joe". The Ritchie Blackmore medieval stuff I had heard of & knew kinda what that was about...but to see they covered a song by the Rednex was a surprise for sure.) Sorry about the tangent...I really liked this.

That was a very interesting blend...I thought some of it sounded pastoral, some sounded atmosheric(for lack of better word) & some of it sounded kinda bluesy. Wish I could do that!

Thanks for putting these up once again. They are a lot of fun to watch!

MarkM

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Wow!! Neil that was captivating. Very cool indeed.

MarkM

BobR

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:50 pm

What Mark said....

lueders

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Nicely, put...Mark! (Or should I say nicely put: Wayne & Garth?)

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Neil:

It is very nice to see you playing for fun and showing us how EASY it is to play the guitar......and here we all thought it was hard.......

I really do enjoy these snapshots. I love to listen to new music and hear how people came up with certain things. I am a big fan of Blackmore's Night, and really enjoy their music. I also very much enjoyed this little piece.

Thanks again for sharing this with us.

MJ

wrench

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:14 pm

I really try to keep my mouth shut most of the time, but every now and then something comes along that is so moving I simply must speak. Neil's Abstract #5 brings some things (nearly) full circle for me, and I'd like to share my thoughts on it. The first thing that that jumps out at me about #5 is the chord progression - it is very similar to a Christmas song, "Mary, Did You Know?" I learned just this past Sunday, and probably many others. I am continually amazed at the commonality of chord progressions shared by songs that do not sound remotely similar.

With that out of the way, just listen to #5 about a million times because you need that before you can get past the sheer beauty of the song and analyze it a bit. I have done that, so I can speak now. The beginning and end of the song is "Wish You Were Here" originally done by Rednex and covered by Blackmore's Night, just as Neil said. But the middle of the piece is all Neil, and to my ear it is brilliant. I see and hear some Lead Secrets, some Chord Solo, some key changes, some octave changes, and overall, a simply beautiful and moving piece soloed into a better piece than the original. And he probably did all that on the fly. I'm glad that was fun for Neil, because I had a blast watching it. Truly moving. Truly impressive. And I'm lucky enough to say this is the guy who taught me how to play guitar.

I will never be Neil, but #5 is a brass ring I will reach for the rest of my days, even though Wayne and Garth have me dead to rights.

willem

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:48 pm

wrench wrote:
I really try to keep my mouth shut most of the time, but every now and then something comes along that is so moving I simply must speak. Neil's Abstract #5 brings some things (nearly) full circle for me, and I'd like to share my thoughts on it. The first thing that that jumps out at me about #5 is the chord progression - it is very similar to a Christmas song, "Mary, Did You Know?" I learned just this past Sunday, and probably many others. I am continually amazed at the commonality of chord progressions shared by songs that do not sound remotely similar.

With that out of the way, just listen to #5 about a million times because you need that before you can get past the sheer beauty of the song and analyze it a bit. I have done that, so I can speak now. The beginning and end of the song is "Wish You Were Here" originally done by Rednex and covered by Blackmore's Night, just as Neil said. But the middle of the piece is all Neil, and to my ear it is brilliant. I see and hear some Lead Secrets, some Chord Solo, some key changes, some octave changes, and overall, a simply beautiful and moving piece soloed into a better piece than the original. And he probably did all that on the fly. I'm glad that was fun for Neil, because I had a blast watching it. Truly moving. Truly impressive. And I'm lucky enough to say this is the guy who taught me how to play guitar.

I will never be Neil, but #5 is a brass ring I will reach for the rest of my days, even though Wayne and Garth have me dead to rights.

OH I complete agree with you on that and I noticed also alot and thought it looks alot on things we learned or look at it in many lessons,,,its great to use that also in other songs,,, over a while you should see something were I (we) are a part of and tryed something that was just on time here in a lesson and I was a bit proud to use that in a simple way,,,hope you see it and will speak,,,,thank you Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic