On the Beat - Episode 95 - Weekly Guitar video news wrap up January 6th, 2012

TGCheryle

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is you weekly video wrap up from the first week of the New Year.....

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/tota ... -2012.html

January 6, 2012

Welcome to the New Year and I hope everybody had a good and relaxing Holiday Season. This week we got back in stride with a few new Target releases and a couple Fly On The Wall videos. Our in the studio lessons this week featured Fred working on adding the vocal part to our arrangement of Ain’t No Sunshine, and Paris taking a look at the intro to Nothing Else Matters, by Metallica.

The lessons we added this week included Damien Rice’s unreleased tune Wild And Free, a song we found here at YouTube from a few recent appearances of his. It is another great example of his simple, but incredibly inspired and moving songs.

We also reached into our Recommend A Lesson list and pulled out No Matter What by Badfinger, a very talented group of musicians who got started with the Beatles’ Apple label and big support from Paul McCartney. Pete Ham and Tom Evans managed to write a handful of great tunes that have stood the test of time and I hope to get to more of them in the near future.

On the obscure front we looked again to the English band Caravan. Their song Hoedown (not to be confused with Aaron Copland’s piece as done by Emerson, Lake & Palmer), is an example of their use of unusual time signatures and some of the lesson focuses on singing along with the odd timing.

We also want to welcome our sister-sites TotallyVocals and TotallyKeyboards into the New Year and hope everybody’s musical life is happy and healthy.

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

willem

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Great to be back on both feets again as everybody I geuss but I enjoyed december pretty much,,so now really working on some goals and more guitar practice,,to get something pat in my head(and fingers) and hope for a great year on that with a lot of fun..

What I noticed while you play is you don 't have any pressure on your left hand,,it looks so easy..and i liked the pulloff at 11.21 vid time..

have a nice weekend

Willem

ps Keep on writting

lueders

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:57 pm

I really liked the blend of songs this week a lot! I like the Badfinger tune a lot. I think that might be a good open mic tune
sandwiched in with a couple of others. (A lot of eople have covered it & it appeals to several different age groups I think)
I am very, very excited for what is up...and what maybe coming in regards to Damian Rice!! :)
And, I enjoyed Paris's Fly On the Wall Segment.

P.S. The World I Know? Collective Soul?

P.S.S. A version of "No Matter What" that Marc Cohn generally does with Amie Mann
I don't think I like it as much as the original but it ain't bad.

Have fun with your softball, Neil.

sbutler

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks again for being here just for us Neil. We love to hear you just plinkin around.

And gladly I have to admit, I'm one of the lucky ones that gets to play over an hour a day. At least until three days ago, when in -56 temps in Western Alaska, I froze my index and middle fingers, and broke both of those nail off WELL below the quick. No more finger pickin for me for a few days. So I broke out the pick and work on my precision picking (ie, From the Beginning) type stuff.

Glad your birds are chirping cause I think ours have frozen.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic