To pickguard or not to pickguard? (video added)

AcousticAl

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hi Tom

Thanks.... I was just thinking if your going to purchase a reasonbably expensive guitar
if it would be worth asking before purchasing, that is if you don't want a pick guard.
I mean it's additional work fitting the guard..... surely the process could be skipped on request.
Remember, just a thought.... I don't know what complication this would add to the product production.

Dermot
Suzi and I were just chatting about this. I don't know either way- but I would assume that you could order one without a pickguard through a local distributor. What would they have to lose? And it is one less step in the manufacture that they'd need to do at the factory.
Also, every time I call Taylor, they're so darned helpful!! Can't imagine they wouldn't do something like that.

wiley

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:24 am

thereshopeyet

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 pm

I think when purchasing anything it's always worth asking.
Hopefully this will be of interest to anyone considering ordering the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany or any Taylor guitar.

I emailed Taylor and asked as in the email below and their reply follows:

Dear Customer Service
When ordering a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany acoustic guitar:
Is it possible to request a the guitar without a Pick Guard?

Would there be any additional charge for such a request?

Kind Regards

Dermot

PS
The same question with respect to any Taylor Acoustic Guitar purchase?

Hello Dermot and thank you for contacting us here at Taylor Guitars.
Feel free to contact any Taylor Guitars Dealer and request “No Pickguard” on your order and they’ll be able to relay to our Sales Dept.
and get you one without a pickguard at no additional cost.
Enjoy and play on!

Sincerely,

Ben Benavente

Customer Relations Representative

Taylor Guitars

:) :) :)

AcousticAl

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 pm

wiley wrote:
Al,

I've used the after market Taylor 'reusable' clear pickgaurd on my Seagull since it was new, and have removed and re-'installed' it several times. Never had any problems except for the edges lifting when hitting them with either a fingernail or pick and some air bubbles under the guard at times (due to my own negligence in putting it on). No 'ring' except or build up which is easily removed with a polish and a bit of a strong arm. The Seagull is around two years old and stays mainly inside so no noticable discoloration or the like.

Only one item of concern, and the packaging from Taylor themselves state so, the item uses 'static' to 'cling' to the guitar surface and as such, the surface needs to be 'smooth'. So, if your instrument isn't some sort of 'glossy' finish it may not cling properly or at all. IOW - the higher the gloss the better the item 'sticks'!

Good luck.

Now, how about an armrest, an "O-Port" and cutting a nice egg shaped hole in the upper bout, you know, a 'sound port'??
Hey there Wiley,

I've ordered one- but you have a good point about the surface. It's not a super-glossy top so I don't know how it will fare. Will let you all know when it arrives.

And about the other modifications on your laundry list..
Ahhhhhh...... NO.

AcousticAl

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
I think when purchasing anything it's always worth asking.
Hopefully this will be of interest to anyone considering ordering the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany or any Taylor guitar.

I emailed Taylor and asked as in the email below and their reply follows:

Dear Customer Service
When ordering a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany acoustic guitar:
Is it possible to request a the guitar without a Pick Guard?

Would there be any additional charge for such a request?

Kind Regards

Dermot

PS
The same question with respect to any Taylor Acoustic Guitar purchase?

Hello Dermot and thank you for contacting us here at Taylor Guitars.
Feel free to contact any Taylor Guitars Dealer and request “No Pickguard” on your order and they’ll be able to relay to our Sales Dept.
and get you one without a pickguard at no additional cost.
Enjoy and play on!

Sincerely,

Ben Benavente

Customer Relations Representative

Taylor Guitars

:) :) :)
Thanks for looking into that Dermot. I know it will help at least on TG'er on here :)

thereshopeyet

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks

AcousticAl

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Dermot,

Interesting and scary is better than interesting and catastrophic!

I'm happy with the results. Give it a try...
IF YOU DARE!!

suziko

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Dermot- Thanks for emailing Taylor about that! Certainly good news for me. I do plan to order a GS Mini Mahogany in the next few months and would far prefer it to come with no pickguard rather than to have to remove it the way Al did. No disrespect intended to Al, who did a truly stellar job!! I just know how impatient I can be, and fear I'd start ripping it off after a few minutes and end up pulling out great chunks of wood along with the pickguard!

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Suzi

Your welcome...

It had never occured to me that some folk may prefer a guitar that's sold with a pick guard..... without the guard until
Al posted his video..... after watching the video....and feeling his pressure..... I wondered if it might be considered optional when purchasing a quality instrument,
especially from a reputable dealer like Taylor..... I was also thinking..... it's got to be put on the guitar during the build process..... so does it need to be....

I wouldn't like to see someone else making another video like AL's if it wasn't necessary.....

Enjoy your new mini when it arrives.

Dermot

jayswett

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:26 am

I have conflicting feelings regarding this video. On the one hand, I am profoundly impressed that you had the cajones to do this to your brand new Taylor guitar. On the other hand, I am appalled that you would so such a thing, putting such a lovely instrument at risk! I did see your other video, though, and I must admit that it looks pretty sharp without the pick guard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic