To pickguard or not to pickguard? (video added)

tovo

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Al,

My Taylor GA does not have a pick guard, didn't come with one. There is not a scratch on the spruce top. Not one tiny scratch and I am hardly a good strummer so I am sure I scrape the pick on it often. I suggest that the hard clear finish on good quality guitars protect them pretty well from scratches. If you are keen to have a pick guard perhaps a clear plastic will suit you? It's there to protect for your peace of mind but doesn't have a strong visual impact.

michelew

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:26 am

Al,

Interesting idea. Have you considered whether the surface under the pick guard is the same colour as the wood around it. It may be lighter because it isn't exposed to light, or less anyway.

It would be disappointing to remove it and then not like the look due to inconsistent color.

Good luck.

M.

dburns99

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 am

michelew wrote:
Al,

Interesting idea. Have you considered whether the surface under the pick guard is the same colour as the wood around it. It may be lighter because it isn't exposed to light, or less anyway.

It would be disappointing to remove it and then not like the look due to inconsistent color.

Good luck.

M.
Excellent point. Unless you're prepared to refinish the guitar I don't see a reason for removing a pickguard that came factory on it. If you don't like it, sell it and buy one without a pickguard.

Don't hurt the guitar. What did it ever do to you?

AcousticAl

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:45 pm

I gone and done it!!!
B)

cosmicmechanic

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Al, you have nerves of steel ... that's the exact same guitar I bought yesterday and I'm not about to perform surgery on it !

Pierre

tombo1230

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Great job removing the pick guard, brave man, I'm glad you didn't need to revert to the use of chemicals. Nice piece of wood with or without the guard.

You just need to play it now.

Tom N.

AcousticAl

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:33 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Al, you have nerves of steel ... that's the exact same guitar I bought yesterday and I'm not about to perform surgery on it !

Pierre

That's awesome, Pierre.. Congrats!!

I already new I liked the shape and playability of the GS Mini- as you know, I owned the spruce-top model.
But when I heard they were coming out with the mahogany-top version, I was more than interested.
The mahogany really warms the sound compared to the spruce. Especially when you're fingerpicking.

Congrats again, Pierre. Looking forward to a vid from you :)

AcousticAl

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:37 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
Great job removing the pick guard, brave man, I'm glad you didn't need to revert to the use of chemicals. Nice piece of wood with or without the guard.

You just need to play it now.

Tom N.
Thanks Tom. I had seen the video you posted already. That guy sure knows how to make the Mini sing!!
Something to strive for, for sure.

I do feel brave.. Its one of those things that once you start- THERE'S NO TURNING BACK!!
I'm glad I didn't use chemicals as well.

michelew

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 am

Hey Al,

Nice guitar! It does look pretty without the guard (though i like it with too). I'm glad to see it didn't end in tears (phew no tan lines) and that you performed the operation so masterfully. I did wonder whether you'd end up with scratches, but it looks unscathed.

How does it sound?

Congrats on the guitar. I'm guessing your Mrs has a few lovely new outfits. :)

Nice work

M.

willem

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 am

Now it is really yours so lets pick it..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic