To pickguard or not to pickguard? (video added)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 am

Caught your vid on YT Al, and its a video that will be very helpful for anyone wanting to do the same so you have definitely added some value there. There's no way I'd have attempted that removal job! Is this a case of "where angels fear to tread...."?
:laugh: And I have to say, guitar looks much better without the pickguard. And it sounds just great! Looks like you and Pierre will just have to team up for a collab with twin guitars.

AcousticAl

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 am

Michele- This guitar is more of a trade than a new addition to the herd. I'm still within my self-imposed 3 guitar limit.
But Mrs. AA was very happy upon my recent return from Vegas.. Got her a nice gift with my slot winnings!!

Willem- I've been pickin & grinnin! :)

AcousticAl

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Caught your vid on YT Al, and its a video that will be very helpful for anyone wanting to do the same so you have definitely added some value there. There's no way I'd have attempted that removal job! Is this a case of "where angels fear to tread...."?
:laugh: And I have to say, guitar looks much better without the pickguard. And it sounds just great! Looks like you and Pierre will just have to team up for a collab with twin guitars.
That's why I made the video, Chris. There's lots of written advice online on how to do it- but not much video.
And with something as potentially high-risk like this-- I WANT TO SEE SOMEONE DO IT!!

I agree that I prefer it without the pickguard.. the mahogany's too pretty to cover up.
To each their own though.

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Very nicely, done Al, However, I'm not sure I would have done that. But, I'm not sure I would do the same as in time I think you will get slight marks below the sound-hole. That's if you keep it long enough lol. Here is a link to me and my Alhambra it has a transparent guard and is barely noticeable.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/allcommun ... ofile.html

AcousticAl

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Very nicely, done Al, However, I'm not sure I would have done that. But, I'm not sure I would do the same as in time I think you will get slight marks below the sound-hole. That's if you keep it long enough lol. Here is a link to me and my Alhambra it has a transparent guard and is barely noticeable.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/allcommun ... ofile.html
Thing is from what I've seen, you get marks where the pickguard doesn't reach anyways.
I am going to investigate the transparent/removable ones Taylor has for sale.
I'll put it on if and when I need it. Will probably stay in a drawer :laugh:

suziko

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Al,

That was a fascinating video- and will prove extremely helpful to anyone who wants to do something like this on their own guitar (I'm thinking ME once I get my own Mini). I just hope I can be as patient as you were :unsure: I think the guitar looks way better w/o the pickguard. Agreed- the mahogany is just too pretty to cover.

Regarding the clear pickguards- the guy at my guitar store, when I asked about them, mentioned that one possible worry is that the wood won't age/darken the same around the pickguard as it does under and that if you've a clear pickguard on it, that difference will show. That might not be an issue with the cling-on ones, I don't know.

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks

tombo1230

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:17 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Al

That's an interesting video.

It's made me wonder ..... when purchasing a guitar ...... is it an option?

Can one ask the retailer to order in the same guitar without the Pick Guitar?

Dermot

:)
Dermot, guitars are mass produced. I would doubt very much if you could ask for with or without pick guard, unless you were getting your guitar custom built. Someone may tell us otherwise, but I will be very suprised if you wouldn't need to put it through the repair shop at the shop you are buying it from to get that option, even then they might not fancy taking that job on (Removing a pick guard). My Taylor came without a pick guard and the shop cut and fitted a clear one for me, at a price.

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks

TheresHopeYet

Chasplaya

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:51 pm

suziko wrote:

Regarding the clear pickguards- the guy at my guitar store, when I asked about them, mentioned that one possible worry is that the wood won't age/darken the same around the pickguard as it does under and that if you've a clear pickguard on it, that difference will show. That might not be an issue with the cling-on ones, I don't know.

Suzi
Hi Suzi, Check out my old video i've linked to on this thread the guitar is about 10yrs old now and no signs of different aging around the pickguard.

Cling ons I didn't know they played guitar in Star Trek :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic