To pickguard or not to pickguard? (video added)

AcousticAl

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:59 am

I'm thinking of removing a pickguard from a certain guitar that you have not been introduced to yet. :)

I've read the basics about removing one on the net (go SLOW, use Naptha)..

Just wondering if you have any opinions on the benefits of having one vs. not.
According to Mr. Taylor- pickguards are purely aesthetic.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/ask-b ... -pickguard

I mostly fingerpick- and even when I strum, I'm not aggressive so that's why I'm leaning towards the 'au naturel' look.

tombo1230

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 am

AcousticAl wrote:
I'm thinking of removing a pickguard from a certain guitar that you have not been introduced to yet. :)

I've read the basics about removing one on the net (go SLOW, use Naptha)..

Just wondering if you have any opinions on the benefits of having one vs. not.
According to Mr. Taylor- pickguards are purely aesthetic.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/ask-b ... -pickguard

I mostly fingerpick- and even when I strum, I'm not aggressive so that's why I'm leaning towards the 'au naturel' look.
Just a thought Al, if you look at any guitar that doesn't have a pick guard fitted, I think you will see some scratches on the guitar around the area where the guard would normally be. I had a clear one fitted to my Taylor 814 just in case. It is pretty much invisible, but the guitar is protected. Any good guitar workshop should be able to cut you one and fit it, they are very thin. On my Taylor you really have to look for it to see it.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 am

If I check out my guitars which are both around 25 years old, they are peppered with fingernail indentations and scratches. On the nylon, I've actually worn away the wood around the bottom of the sound hole. There are marks topside of the strings too but not much. So a scratch guard does protect the guitar no doubt at all. On the other side, I don't want a scratch guard on my guitars.... and I wouldn't remove one if it was already there. Some risk, I'd guess. I've seen the guard Tom mentions and that would be ok for me. Looking forward to hearing/seeing your new indulgence!

thedancer

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:06 am

Al
Just remove it .

Dancer

dennisg

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 am

Given the way you play, Al. I'd remove it if its presence bothers you. Personally, I like the look of pick guards, and I like that each manufacturer has its own signature shape. I can spot a Taylor a mile away.

AcousticAl

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies so far.

Chris- Looking at my track record (a.k.a. TURNOVER) with guitars- I don't think I have the 25 year scratches and dents to worry about!
:laugh:

I do wonder if not having a pickguard would change the sound for the better. I heard somewhere that 80% of the guitar's sound comes from the top (if it's a solid wood top). Anyone know if that's correct?

Also- Taylor makes a removable clear pickguard. Anyone had any experience with them?

dennisg

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:35 am

AcousticAl wrote:
I do wonder if not having a pickguard would change the sound for the better. I heard somewhere that 80% of the guitar's sound comes from the top (if it's a solid wood top). Anyone know if that's correct?
I doubt that you, I, or anyone else, when put in a blindfold test, could tell the difference.
Also- Taylor makes a removable clear pickguard. Anyone had any experience with them?
I've played around with a friend's static-cling pick guard. They do the job well. It's a good option for someone unsure about whether to have a pick guard or not.

daryl

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:28 am

tombo1230

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 pm

daryl wrote:

I think this says it all. One guitar for sale,............ has been gigged on occassion :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think a pick guard would have helped any in this case. :P

Tom N.

AcousticAl

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:10 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
daryl wrote:

I think this says it all. One guitar for sale,............ has been gigged on occassion :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think a pick guard would have helped any in this case. :P

Tom N.
Ok- now I'm scared!
Not that my guitar will look like that in 25 years-- but because I'll probably do that much damage trying to get it off!!!

Hmmmm...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic