On the Beat - Episode 108 - Weekly Guitar video news wrap up April 6th, 2012

TGMike

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is you weekly video wrap up for this week......

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/tota ... -2012.html

Enjoy!

This week the Target Program additions were all from artists who were very influential to me. We started the week with John Fahey's tune Poor Boy Long Ways From Home. This is done in Open D Tuning and is a pretty easy fingerpicking song. We ended the week with one of Neil Young's early tunes, I Am A Child. This was originally released on the Buffalo Springfield's third album Last Time Around.

Another artist whose songs I am really fond of is Jon Mark, and The Mark-Almond Band. They were a staple of FM radio in the early 1970s, particularly with their song The City. This week I did a lesson on their tune One Way Sunday. This is a song that combines a few techniques and different moods. I hope everybody checks it out, especially if you are not familiar with them.

Student Reviews included looks at Buddy Holly's Not Fade Away and the Slack Key piece Moloka'i Waltz. Our Fly On The Wall episodes were on Minglewood Blues by Old Crow Medicine Show, and Billy Joel's It's Still Rock And Roll To Me.

Until next week-

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

schm040

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Neil,

The mistake on the .pdf for It's Still Rock and Roll to Me is in the first line of the chorus. It should end with A Major but it is written as A Minor.

Right?

We will let you slide......
:)
Matt

jimcjimc

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Neil,
Thanks for the review on Molokai Waltz. I will work on your suggestions. I didn't notice the review until I watched the weekly wrap-up, as there was no forum entry for the review. But I clicked on the Target Student reviews menu item and found the review there. (It is dated May 4 (instead of April 4), so perhaps that's why no forum entry.

Thanks again,
Jim

TGNeil

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Matt- that may be another mistake that I missed. I will check.

Jim- Sorry the review did not get announced, it has been a hectic week here at TG and a few things have fallen through the cracks.

Next week- No announcements, look for the Easter Eggs!

Neil

schm040

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:01 am

Neil,

Ok, maybe I have it this time. The last line of the verse is written like this.....

C Em Bb F Em D C /

but should be this....

C Em Bb F Am G C /

The Am is where the "still rock and roll to me starts"....

I love these musical puzzles.

Am I in the ballpark?

Matt

TGNeil

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:19 am

Got it- the Em D part is wrong and should be Am G.

thereshopeyet

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic