On the Beat - Episode 114 - Weekly Guitar video news wrap up May 11th, 2012

TGMike

Fri May 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 22012.html

Have a good weekend!
Mike...

This week we once again went way back for some songs, but got about as current as possible with a 2012 release as well. The Target lessons included Sunny Skies by James Taylor, Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing by Neil young, and I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz.

Our Fly On The Wall videos this week went through songs that are not (yet?) in our library but the lessons on Eddie Rabbit's Drivin' My Life Away and James River Blues by Old Crow Medicine Show are probably detailed enough for folks to learn the songs.

We added a couple Student Reviews with suggestions on Blackbird and Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, along with an Acoustic Snapshot of me wandering around the guitar a bit with nods to Neil Young and Peter Green, Abstract #7.

The News ends with a trivia question about a song I am thinking about doing a lesson on. I found versions by a very diverse group of artists. I am curious as to whether it is simple, impossible, or somewhere in-between. Who's got the answer?

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

jimcjimc

Fri May 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Trivia question - looking through my van morrison songs that have composer "traditional", how about:

Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child (timely for mother's day)

John Henry

millponddave

Fri May 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Yes, I do like what you are doing. Keep it up. The only problem that I have is finding enough time to get to everything that I want to try my hand at.

Dave

TGNeil

Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
Trivia question - looking through my van morrison songs that have composer "traditional", how about:

Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child (timely for mother's day)

John Henry
It's much deeper, not a Van Morrison album per se.

unclewalt

Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Ah! Gotta be "She Moved Through The Fair." I guess if you had said "Jimmy Page stole Davey Graham's arrangement of it," that would have been too big a hint. I might not have gotten it without the "not a Van Morrison album per se" hint.

Looking forward this this one!

jim56

Sat May 12, 2012 12:07 am

I"d guess UncleWalt got that one, I got hung up on" Pretty Polly" and" Make Me a Pallet on the Floor". I started with Jacqui McShee(Pentangle) and Sandy Denny(Fairport Convention) but couldn't get the other 3 (Van Morrison, Art Garfunkel and Elvis Costello).

familyman4

Sat May 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Can I please ask a quick question? Neil is speaking about checking on the U-Tube channel to see all of the lessons that are available. Aren't all of the song lessons that are available listed under the "Lessons" tab on the left side of the page? If there are more available, where do you find them???

Please advise....
Bart

beaker

Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Bart, you are right, all of the lessons available are found under lessons. My guess is Neil was, in a round about way, Neil was suggesting that more people check out the TG You Tube channel, because the more hits, comments and likes..... then my guess is that the vids get more of a priority on You Tube, then are easier for people to browse and discover TG.... Then they will eventually find the website. Speaking for myself, this is how I found TG and I am willing to bet so did many others. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic