Larrivee guitars.

beaker

Sat May 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Hey TG, here's a great video from Larrivee. check it out. Beaker.

Lavallee

Sat May 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Very interesting Beaker, I would have never thought that they would take a dead tree.

Marc

michelew

Sat May 19, 2012 6:43 pm

This video is impressive. When I first watched it i was saddened by it too. I was distracted and didn't hear that the tree was dead. I had been impressive that Larrivee puts a lot of thought and energy into finding great tone woods.  But, it sadden me to think that such a beautiful, majestic tree that has been giving to the world for SO long was cut down to make guitars. After reading Marc's comment I went back and rewatched it. And now I'm impressed that they are using Eco-friendly harvesting.

I guess it's obvious when you think about it, you need a big tree if you are going to cut a piece of wood that has the right properties to be a soundboard for a guitar. 
So it reminds me to appreciate my guitars more, because some big beautiful tree (still alive) may have been cut down so that I and people like me could enjoy the music it is capable of producing and how beautiful it looks. I don't know the history of my Larrivee's soundboard, but it's good to know that Larrivee is thinking about sustainable harvesting.

With the unsustainable rates that so many forests around the world are being logged, i wonder if there will come a day during our lifetimes when it's hard to find trees big enough to turn into guitars. 

So sustainably harvested woods, another thing to think about when purchasing a new guitar.

Thanks for the reminder Beaker. It was an interesting video. Thanks Marc for the comment.

Michele

Catman

Sun May 20, 2012 12:11 pm

So we may all end up playing carbon fiber guitars...

And yes, it is encouraging that guitar companies such as Larrivee, and others, are invested in sustainable resources.

David

dennisg

Sun May 20, 2012 12:26 pm

I think the guitar industry has been mostly conscientious about insisting upon eco-friendly harvesting and preservation of natural resources. It's the furniture, housing, and farming/ranching industries that seem to do the most damage to our forests.

In general, I think the guitar industry is filled with good citizens. For example, Taylor helped one of its employees start up the Breedlove guitar company -- a direct competitor. Hard to imagine that happening in other industries. I also know that Bob Taylor and Chris Martin are friends and regularly share ideas. They never put down other guitar companies and, in fact, have a lot of admiration for each others' accomplishments. I remember someone asking Bob Taylor (in a magazine interview) which guitar manufacturers he most admires, and he didn't hesitate to mention Collings and Santa Cruz.

beaker

Sun May 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Dennis, Your comments reminded me of some of what Jean Larrivee speaks about during this interview....

peleus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:36 am

It's amazing how Jean inspires a lot of people. He has a strong influence with my father.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic