tgjameela

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/tg-w ... -2012.html

Enjoy!

Podcast:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... 76594?mt=2

This week we added some of my personal favorites to the Target Program. We started the week with another entry in our David Bowie catalog, Ziggy Stardust. Like many of his songs, it opens with a very dramatic and memorable introduction.

That was followed by what many might consider a cult classic, Nature’s Way by Spirit. This great band may be long forgotten by some and completely unknown by others but their influence can be found in bands as high-profile as Led Zeppelin. Their guitarist, Randy California started his career with Jimi Hendrix and was invited to head to England with the Experience. He couldn’t go, his parents said he had to stay in school.

One of our most requested songs found its way into the program as we started a series that will come out a bit at a time on Mood For A Day, the quasi-classical piece by Steve Howe of Yes. The song first appeared on their 1972 album Fragile and has been a favorite of fans and guitar players since. This week we start with just the first seven measures as there are very important techniques that must become comfortable before the song can ever take shape.

The Student Review section is active again and this week I looked at an upload by Webostick playing Michelle, by The Beatles. There are some suggestions in the review on incorporating melody notes into the accompaniment, basically extending the chord solo that Wally started.

Our Fly On The Wall lesson was a look at a very familiar song by The Mamas And Papas, Creeque Alley. If the name does not ring a bell I’m sure most of you will recognize the catchy phrases and melody lines.

The Listening Post presented Steve Rose’s look at Steppenwolf. They really were a cutting edge band in the late 1960s and I hope everybody gets a chance to see Steve’s look at them and thinks about picking up some of their albums.

Next week- A lesson on a song yet to be released on an album. As a matter of fact it is scheduled for the band’s second album, due in September 2012. It is a very popular tune on YouTube already. Any guesses?

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

AndyT

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Whiter Shade of Pale. Love it. Coming soon?

dtaylor

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Gotye I could take or leave but I could listen to Neil play Whiter Shade Of Pale all day long...

sbutler

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:03 pm

I know of one or two folks around here that would really be all over "whiter shade of pale".

And now the trivia question, (if it was a trivia question) has got me wondering.
The Steppenwolf song, "The Pusher". Was that written by Hoyt Axton??????

inquiring mind want to know.

Scott B)

suziko

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I loved this week's "On the Beat." Neil, you were so funny throughout ("I hate guitar competitions!" "Go on about your lives." "Maybe I'll just phone it in." etc etc). And is there anything Neil can't play? I loved the chunk of Steppenwolf songs, and even though I'm not a huge fan of that Gotye song, I sure did like the guitar instrumental! I'd learn that! :)

Suzi

beaker

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Neil, When you made the comparison between the good sounding Steppin Wolf song and a Miles Davis song from Kind of Blue, were you referring to All Blues?

sbutler

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:50 pm

Well it was drivin me crazy, so I had to do a little research and found this old gem from the 70's. Yes it has something to do with the Steppenwolf question.

willem

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:05 am

Thanks for the wrap and teaching me your language..I mean your second language with so many tones...

whiter shade of pale..Mmmmm

Willem

peleus

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:02 pm

I enjoyed the video very much. How long did it took you to be on this such level? :)

silvermatter

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:23 pm

So nice…thanks! hope to be at that level some day

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic