>> The Listening Post - John Sebastian

tgjameela

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new addition to The Listening Post featuring John Sebastian.

John Sebastian is another example of a performer who had everything in place for a successful solo career, but was never able to recapture the commercial heights he attained with his first group, the Lovin’ Spoonful, or take full advantage of the fame he received from his unexpected show-stopping performance at Woodstock. He was poised to lead the vanguard of singer-songwriters emerging in the early seventies. However, due to legal hassles the release of his first solo album was delayed a year and a half while the suits and lawyers representing competing record companies fought in court over who owned the rights to his music.

See blog post for full article.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/thelisten ... sebastian/

familyman4

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Very good Lintening Post article. A friend of mine is a huge fan of John Sebastian so I will share your article with him too. You really do your homework!

Thanks....
Bart

haoli25

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:16 am

Keep 'em coming, Steve. I really enjoy your contributions. I, too, have read waaaaayyyyy too many album liner notes. :)

Bill

jimcjimc

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Steve,

I loved the Listening Post on John Sebastian! If he didn't make it as a solo act, it's not my fault. I went looking through my record collections and I have:

John B Sebastian && Real Live John Sebastian && Tarzana Kid on vinyl

and a CD of I Want My Roots and a Rhino CD The Best of the Lovin Spoonful.

I will have to listen to them again this week.

I also remember in college seeing the Woody Allen film "What's Up Tiger Lily", which was a pretty strange film, where he took some obscure Japanese film and dubbed in some of his own dialogue and added the Lovin Spoonful soundtrack.

Jim

rapidrose50

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Thank you, Jim. I enjoyed digging through Sebastian's solo stuff to write this review. The Rhino box has some nice bonuses including his entire set at Woodstock. The Spoonful have a small cameo in the What's Up Tiger Lily film. I look forward to seeing that again! - Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic