Abstract 8 - Tribute To Matt B.

TGMike

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Last week (Aug 30, 2012) we lost a dear friend and incredible human being, Matt Birskovich. Many of you know some or much of the story, but this was a man who was handed an extraordinary set of challenges and went on with his life like it was no big deal. His dedication to learning and teaching was just a small part of his exceptional character.

Last night (Sep 5) I set out to express myself musically with a piece to honor him. When I have done similar things in the past, the results are generally somewhat pastoral in nature, things like Papa’s Guitar or On The Horizon. This time things were quite different and I stumbled into a song that seemed quite appropriate for my feelings at the time. There was quite a different edge to the mood as well. This morning (Sep 6) I sat down and improvised a bit around the tune and figured I needed to add it to our collection of Abstracts.

Adios my friend ...

Neil

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... ovich.html

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Way to go Neil.... I'm sure Matt was foot stomping along with them ghost riders all the way!

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:45 pm

That was quite a piece Neil.... When I first read the news last week from Matt W, I was shocked and very saddened.... It is amazing how Matt B's life and struggles inspired so many folks in varying ways. I can't say that I knew Matt B, only that I was introduced to him via TG. I have to imagine that truly knowing him would make him that much more of an inspiration. I am sorry for the loss of such a good friend. I am sure he knows how you feel, and that he enjoyed your tribute very much.

Regards,

Jason

willem

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm

so great to express your feelings with music ,,special to honor a lost friend and its all a bout an feeling inside of our selfs if no words can be found or spoken on a certain moment 'cos the lost and story is so intens..hope he heard it and watch all over us..

tombo1230

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I really have to say Neil that was truly an amazing conversation you had with your guitar. I don't think you have ever played better. I am very sure Matt was with you when you played that beautiful and touching tribute to him. Words escape me right now, so I will leave it there.

Tom N.

familyman4

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Thank you for sharing your heart and soul with the TG family! I am sure Matt B. is smiling up above every time another one of us has the pleasure of watching you play this tribute...

I truely wish I would have known him.

Bart

BigBear

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:00 am

Neil- that is absolutely the greatest version of Stan Jones' (Ghost) Riders in the Sky I have ever heard. What a great tribute to Matt B.

Is there any chance you could dumb down that version so that it is playable by us mere mortals? It would be an honor to learn it in Matt's memory. And it is one of my all-time favorite tunes as well.

Incredible Neil. Thanks for sharing that with us.

caperjeff

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 pm

beautiful - thanks

goldleaf

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Awsome version of Ghost Riders. It was clear your heart was truly in it. Sorry for all who will miss Matt. Hello to all my long time friends. Gary

ntbandit

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Neil,

I live in Darwin, Australia, and have been inspired over the last year or so with Matt B.'s courage. He is an example to the rest of us.

RIP Matt B.

Your guitar tribute to Matt is awesome. Ghost Riders has been one of my absolute favourites for 40-odd years. May I suggest you turn your tribute into a lesson so that when we (try to) play it we will be able to acknowledge both the composer and also Matt to ourselves and to our listeners. It will keep his memory alive and remind us all of the courage and dignity of one man.

This is my first post in this forum, I thought the news was too important to say nothing.

Again, RIP Matt B.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic