>> The Listening Post - Gram Parsons

tgjameela

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new addition to The Listening Post featuring Gram Parsons.

Gram Parsons was a country-rock pioneer who single-handedly brought country music back into the mainstream in the face of the psychedelic excesses of the late 60’s. Before dying of a tragic drug overdose in 1973, his style of “Cosmic American Music" helped lead the vanguard of country-rock, alt-country, and roots-rock bands that exploded on the music scene in the mid 70's and continues to evolve and remain popular today.

See blog post for full article...

http://www.totallyguitars.com/thelisten ... m-parsons/

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Gosh Steve

You don't you sure put together some amount of information.
Some great video clips too.

I'll be back to read this through again.

:)

rapidrose50

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Thank you. I keep trying to shorten them, but never know what to leave out. That darn Internet has so much information!

rapidrose50

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 am

Hi all, just passing along these links to the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. They will be hosting their 11th annual Gram Parsons tribute on January 12.

http://www.gamhtickets.com/events/25867 ... ons%20&%20..

After hosting San Francisco's annual Gram Parsons tribute concert for the last ten years, Sleepless Nights founder (and Sweet Chariot frontman) Eric Shea is opening up the 11th tribute to encompass the late Parsons' vision of "cosmic American music" – a phrase that Parsons preferred to country-rock.

Shea explains, "Gram left behind a substantial amount of recordings. But after an entire decade of mining songs to play at this tribute, Gram's body of work doesn't seem so voluminous anymore."

He adds, "I'm really into his vision of cosmic American music because it kind of pokes fun at the notion of needing to compartmentalize music into genres while challenging musicians to blend gospel, country, soul, rock and blues all together. So for the 11th Sleepless Nights, I want to invite folks to pluck some fruit from Gram’s musical family tree. That includes songs by The Byrds, Ray Charles, Gene Clark, Buffalo Springfield, The Staple Singers, Emmylou Harris, Tony Joe White, The Dillards, Michael Nesmith, Joe South, some Rolling Stones stuff and countless others."

rapidrose50

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi all, I just picked up a copy of this Gram Parsons compilation, 'Sleepless Nights.' What a great album!

Especially the three previously unreleased duets with Emmylou Harris: 'Brand New Heartache,' 'The Angels Rejoiced Last Night,' and 'Sleepless Nights.'

Pure country done Parsons style! Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic