suggestions for recording videos?

auntlynnie

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 am

Hey there,
I'm looking for help with recording videos. I have a Mac and it seems to make .MOV files, which the Busking Uploader doesn't accept.
Anyone have any ideas about how to change the format? Currently, I'm just recording on my iphone, which works okay, but there are some mics laying around the house. We have a pretty musical crew here. I'd like to improve the sound quality if I can. I just don't know where to start.
Thanks,
Lynn

dennisg

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:37 am

Lynn,

Regarding .mov files, see my comment in the other thread you posted this question in.

It's hard to know what to tell you about recording because you've provided almost no information. Does your guitar have a pickup in it? Do you have an amp?

I have a pickup on my guitar, so I connect it (and a mic) to my amp, then use my iPad (with its own mic) to record through the air whatever comes out of the amp. The only reason I go through the amp is so that I can add effects like reverb and chorus. You can get any number of mics that will plug right in to your iPhone and deliver good sound.

auntlynnie

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:05 am

Well I couldn't give you an answer here, but I'm sure Michele can. She is doing a lot with her Mac and iPad. But she is sound asleep right now! ;)

I'm sure she'll drop in later! :)

sws626

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

There are a lot of program's available to convert from MOV to other formats? I've been using AVS for a couple of years and am quite happy with that - also has some very convenient editing features and allows you to synch with separately recorded audio files.

michelew

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Hey Lynn,

I definitely was fast asleep being 3 am or something here. :)

I have an iMac running OS X (10.7.5) and I use iMovie '11 (version 9.0.8). It produces .m4v files. All I do to make it suitable for the busking and review uploaders is to drag a copy of the file to my desktop and then simply rename it a .mp4 file. Tony taught me this trick. :)

That's it. There's no conversion involved unless it happens in the iMac itself. I'm simply changing the name and that's enough to fool the uploader into accepting it. Occasionally some of the sound and/or video quality is lost, but most of the time it's fine.

If yours are .mov files then I presume you are exporting out of iMovie using QuickTime (an export option from the iMovie program) or maybe you're using QuickTime itself. I'm not familiar with using quickTime to record, so you'll need to seek other advice there. Have you tried the Apple community help pages. https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa just like this forum, the Apple community will help you with what ever you need if they have the info.

I'm actually thinking of changing to Final Cut next year because iMovie isn't handling all of the separate videos and tracks I try to squeeze in. My mac is getting a little too old for it too.

Mics, I've used various things, the mic in the Mac, a Blue SnowBall USB mic (plugs straight into your mac) a Apogee MiC USB and recording on my iPhone via HD Voice Recorder (an app) and cutting that in later via iMove or GarageBand. If you've got a pickup on your guitar, you can record into GarageBand (straight to the iPad using Apogee Jam - then I send the file to my Mac and mix it in GarageBand) or via a intermediate device (that I haven't got or worked out yet - but there are members who so use that approach).

Gosh it sounds like a major production:) if only I had the skills like you and Vanessa to make it all worthwhile. :)

So if you use iMove, then choose 'Export Movie...' From the share menu and then just change the name from .mv4 to .mp4 I assume that you export straight to YouTube at the moment. Once you have the file with the right extension, just open TG and the appropriate uploader and then select the right file from your iFinder menu or drag it from your desktop.

It's easy once you know what the uploader needs.

Enjoy.

Shel

michelew

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Lynn,

After reading Dennis' and other member's advice to you in the busking uploader thread (that .mov files are OK), I'm wondering whether you're trying to upload your video using the address in your YouTube account rather than loading the video straight from you computer.

You need to upload a file from your computer's hard drive.

Once the uploader starts to upload your file it takes a loooooong time. I find it best to walk away and come back in 15 minutes or so. Otherwise you sit there feeling like it's not working and may be tempted to do something that crashes the process. So if you're inclined to be impatient, walk away for a while.

Good luck. With all the tech geniuses on this site, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the problem. :)

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic