>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 83 Acoustic Guitar Inkblot #1

tombo1230

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:08 am

I think the music lends itself to some kind of journey.There are definite places inbuilt where the music would dictate a change in scenery.

If I close my eyes I picture flying over the worlds greatest landmarks, over mountains, over water, over the Golden Gate Bridge, The Empire State Building, Sydney Opera House, The Taj Mahal, The Sphinx, The Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Dolphins swimming in the sea, that kind of thing.

If anyone has been on 'Soarin', the ride at Epcot in Florida they will know what I mean. You are raised up to a screen and you fly around the world taking in the fantastic scenery and also the various smells, like oranges and sea salt etc.

So my suggested title would have to be Soarin' or 'Soaring,' or 'Soaring High'. :)

Tom N.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Come to think of it, maybe with a drum track ... good idea, Chris ! :blink:

neverfoundthetime wrote:
You mean you don't want to go with Cataclysmic Volcanic Flatulence, Pierre? :-)

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Neil,

On this morning of December 21st 2012, when our planet has just escaped disaster, barely avoiding collisions with menacing asteroids
that would also have provoked cataclysmic volcanic flatulence and our total destruction ....

I feel this tune would lend itself very well to conversational lyrics, reminiscence of events that may have seemed happy or dramatic,
with the general drift being how things kinda work themselves out in the end.

There's a short hook that comes up here and there, for example: twice at about 1min32 sec, and four times at about 3min35 sec.
I hear these words on that 3-note melody (taa-daa-daaa): "Life goes on". Maybe that's a title ?

Happy 2013 to all !

Pierre

lueders

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:44 pm

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I really, really like this Neil...

I am definately with all the folks that said this tune feels thematically like an: adventure, journey, or odyssey of sorts.

I remember from " It Might Get Loud", the Edge was talking about in the creation of his often atmospheric sonicsapes he asks himself: Okay, where am I?

Well, I think this tune of yours speaks more to multiple places/experiences; perhaps across transforming landscapes and changing weather or seasons. It definately feels like a cyclical saga. It could be a few moments or a lifetime. I enjoy the vagueness of that idea because it leaves room for the listener to interact and implant his/her narrative onto it.Also, I simply believe good art asks more questions than it answers.
There has to be something enigmatic about it and this tune has it in spades.

So I think a good title has to try to do what a good musical composition does. It oughtta be a little referencial without spoon-feeding.

Personally,I like the idea, of the aforementioned "journey" being supernatural/ metaphysical in nature. I think the idea of the Native American vision quest is perfect.

I would call it: "Whirlwind Chaser"
or: "The Vision Quest of Black Elk"
Or even "Black Elk's Quest"

Sort of a "Tales of Brave Ullysses" type title with a Native American story.

Whirlwind Chaser, Standing Bears uncle, was the name of a Lakota Shaman/Medicine man sent to cure Black Elk's illness. Little historical info is known of Whirlwind Chaser...but wow, what a cool name.Much more is known about Black Elk...who by all acoounts led a tragic but remarkable life.
In the book, Black Elk Speaks by John G.Neihardt the story is told from a first person perspective...originally published in the thirties.

abiliog

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi Neil,
I feel something related to a beginning, awakening, a reborn, maybe a sunrise. Sometimes it comes to my mind the sea.
Well, just my two cents on this beautiful song.
Abilio

lueders

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Okay, I got another idea...

How about calling it: "Phantom Ride"?
A reference to the early (and still used today)cinema technique of having the camera panning forward...as it looks up the road, tracks, stream, or path. (without showing the vehicle creating the movement.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic