On the Beat - Episode 147 - Weekly Guitar video news wrap up January 4th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/tota ... -2013.html

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week’s update turned into one of my longer ones, unintentionally.
It started with a recap of our new Target releases, which included a
rambling Fly On The Wall lesson with Ed that got more into music
appreciation, Student Reviews on an excellent upload of Leo Kottke’s
The Fisherman, and this year’s first big bang with a James Taylor song
added to the library, You Can Close Your Eyes.

The rest of the News was spent commenting on a few Forum posts,
including thoughts on lefty guitar playing, instrumentals and Hector
Garcia, and quite a bit on strumming techniques. There was a lot of
miscellaneous playing as I recall as well.

Happy New Year,

Neil

sbutler

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm

You've got a Friend, chord solo, in a drip feed would be wonderful. Hey, I can ask can't I?

Great wrap up Neil. As always, one of my weekly highlights.

Scott

willem

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Wel I was suprised with the first lesson release this new year..and my goal is to play more guitar this year..

I have that book ''popsongs for classical guitar'' only standard notation,,notes and some numbers at which fingers to use,, I can put it in Gpro and see what it comes up with and maybe make some adjustments when the sign says V or I,,,,,,I saw Dermot was also interested to see the light over standard notation and how to add that to guitar,,so I ask him for learning together ''wonderfull tonight'' and he is in! ,,but I put it in Gpro to see what it said and made some adjustments on my own way,,but then we read TAB, but we need some light on reading standard notation and how to add that to guitar,,so we look forward to lessons on that..

In the mean time we will work on the song and try to help each other..

I realy like playing popsongs the classical way 'cos its fingerpickin also...

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Neil

You want to keep teaching us more.
You are a patient man.

I see Willem mentioned "Wonderful Tonight".
I've been looking at your lesson which is brilliant.

Dermot

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm

I just loved that impromptu You Got a Friend instrumental Neil played!

jimcjimc

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Neil,

I agree that I would recommend that left-handed people take up the guitar right-handed.

I am not so sure I would agree with the statement that:" It is a huge advantage to be left-handed (in playing the guitar)".

It is a right-handed world and us lefties have to adapt to it. The traditional right-handed guitar is designed the way it is because it is better for the right-handed majority. I guarantee it!

Thanks,

Jim, a leftie playing right handed (and using right-handed scissors, etc.)

TGNeil

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi Jim,

I guess I could elaborate on the 'huge advantage' I spoke of. I see this more for beginners as it is more difficult to form chords than to strum them or pluck single strings. Even now when I turn the guitar over to test this theory I find it easier to strum and even fingerpick with my left hand than to play chords with my right.

Neil

jimcjimc

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Neil,

I do agree that when I first started playing guitar, it seemed to me that the fretting was more complicated than the strumming, So, yes, for a while I thought, this is an advantage for me as a left-handed person learning to play a right-handed guitar.

But, the more I played, the more important I realized that the strumming (or the right hand) is. As you have pointed out, I believe in some lessons, the audience barely notices if you fret the wrong string. But they surely notice if you screw up the rhythm.

So, to repeat my point from the previous post: If it were truly the case that what the fretting hand does is harder (or more complicated or requires finer motor skills), then in our right-handed world, a "right-handed guitar" would be just the opposite of what it is today.

Thanks,
Jim

millponddave

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:57 am

Well, I guess I need to weigh in on the lefty thing. My son is left-handed and when he started playing the guitar I let him try both left and right handed models and he chose go with a left-handed model. He has been playing for five years now and has become a really good guitar player. The only drawback that I see is the lack of choice in guitars for lefty's. I think that he would had had a much harder time learning had he been forced to learn in a way that is unnatural for him. He is now eighteen and is writing songs and preforming as well as teaching group lessons. I only wish that I could play as well as he does !!

Dave

michelew

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks for the advice on lefties Neil.

M.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic