Written strum and picking patterns (right hand) ?

morgandy

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi All, not sure where to post this. I am looking for written strum/finger patterns. I have a problem watching the videos and trying to write it all down myself. I'm looking for Southern Cross, for instance. I understand most of the pauses and all, but it would help to see it in front of me. Any ideas for getting these for a lot of songs?

(actually, I'm most looking for picking patterns)

Thanks greatly!

willem

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Well the net is full of stuff like tabs etc,,,I think the best way is waiting till Neil made the song to a lesson and get the right ,,the really right tab/notes and economic finger pickins,,

cheers

Willem

morgandy

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Willem, thanks for the info. I have been studying tabs all over the internet, but something still confuses me.

Are there ones tabs for the left hand chords and picking on the neck, AND, different tabs for the right hand finger picking? I want to learn more than just 'standard', easy ones.

Also, Hard Sun, for instance, has a DD UDU DUDU UDU strum, I never would have been able to pick that pattern up, if I hadn't watched a tutorial (my ear isn't good enough yet). I find that many songs do show the UD and beat pattern, but not all; I think I just need to go with a strums that 'feel' right I guess, in the meantime.

BTW, I am used to reading piano music, so the way these are diag'd is just confusing!!

Thanks again...

willem

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi there!

Have you gone through Neil's acoustic genius series??

Lóts of info on strumming. As for fingerpicking patterns, Neil does provide tabs with almost every song in Target and of course there is the Fingerpicking 101.

All the best! :)

Vanessa

willem

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Wel I am here too for learning and follow only the Target lessons given by Neil and they have all tabs and a really good breakdown of it,,

Vannesa(she's a teacher too) is right and you must follow those series,,on this moment I try to learn a song thats not here(its a fingerpickin song) and I get some breakdown on that,,it started with the words ''its a travis pickin song'' and I directly understood what she! (the teacher is a she) mend..TRAVIS pickin is great to have under your belt (strings)

PS ,,The tabs here have also standard notation above the guitar notation,,,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic