Simple Modifications To Acoustic Guitars

thereshopeyet

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Someone mentioned the Planet Waves - O Port to me today.
So I looked up review videos to find out what it was about.

I can understand that someone with a budget guitar might try a modification like this but can't figure
out why someone who forked out for an expensive $X,000.... guitar, choosing
to alter the sound of a guitar designed for a certain sound quality?

Does this imply that when paying for an expensive guitar it's mainly a cosmetic cost, a playability cost,
a rubbish sound cost that needs modified cost?

dennisg

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Planet Waves, which is an otherwise reputable company, is trying to market what I consider to be a stinker of a product. I've seen the thing demonstrated in person, and it offers no discernible benefit that I can perceive. Others may disagree with that observation. I would rather trust Bob Taylor or Chris Martin to build a guitar that sounds great, without the need to graft on a plastic appendage.

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:15 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Someone mentioned the Planet Waves - O Port to me today.
So I looked up review videos to find out what it was about.

I can understand that someone with a budget guitar might try a modification like this but can't figure
out why someone who forked out for an expensive $X,000.... guitar, choosing
to alter the sound of a guitar designed for a certain sound quality?

Does this imply that when paying for an expensive guitar it's mainly a cosmetic cost, a playability cost,
a rubbish sound cost that needs modified cost?

What might I be overlooking?

What do others think?
I noticed a little difference when it was installed, but not really that much. I would probably give it a go with a beginner guitar, but I bought my 814ce for the sound that it gives all on its own..... ;) Your thinking is in line with mine. It would be a better demo, if they would use it on guitars that might not sound so good, so you could really hear a marked difference. At least it is not a permanent mod though. If someone wanted to give it a go, they could easily take it back out without damaging anything. I also wonder how it would work with any guitars that had electronics that might be in the way....

J

thereshopeyet

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Dennis Wrote:
I would rather trust Bob Taylor or Chris Martin to build a guitar that sounds great, without the need to graft on a plastic appendage.
Well, that's what immediately jumped into my mind, why pay a couple of thousand quid, when I then need to pay a further twenty to improve it !!

:laugh: :laugh:

Dennis, your a man who has tried many a string ...... have you tried: D'Addario's EXP strings?
If so did you like them?
D'Addario's breakthrough EXP Coated Technology produces strings with the natural tone & feel of uncoated strings,
with at least 4 times more life. EXP's allow a guitar's voice to ring true.
http://www.daddario.com/DADExpLanding.Page

J Wrote:
I also wonder how it would work with any guitars that had electronics that might be in the way....
I did think about that too. You'd need to be careful you didn't damage something when installing it.
I read somewhere that's its a flexible hard plastic (not soft rubber) so could mark the sound hole finish if installed / uninstalled several times.

dennisg

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:35 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Dennis, your a man who has tried many a string ...... have you tried: D'Addario's EXP strings?
If so did you like them?
Tried 'em and I like 'em. I think they're a little darker sounding than Elixers, a quality that works well on a lot of guitars.

wrench

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 pm

I consider the O-Port a troubleshooting tool at best. An acoustic guitar can only benefit from it if there is something causing an imbalance in the tonal range. I find this to be the case more because of environmental factors than issues with the instrument. By the way, a cylinder made from posterboard will do the same thing as the O-Port, with the added advantage that you don't mind cutting it, and its mass is lower than the O-Port. These devices alter the Helmholtz frequency of your guitar's body.

I won't bother to go into the science here, but a good guitar in a matching acoustic environment does not need an O-Port.

The title of your thread is "Simple Modifications to Acoustic Guitars", and under that category, I strongly assert that fret leveling and crowning, a well-fitted bone or TUSQ saddle, a nut with correctly profiled string slots, and proper action settings are all simple, and very effective, modifications that will make your guitar sound its best and play its easiest.

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 am

Dennis Wrote:
Tried 'em and I like 'em. I think they're a little darker sounding than Elixers, a quality that works well on a lot of guitars.
Thanks for that Dennis.

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 am

Wrench Wrote:
I consider the O-Port a troubleshooting tool at best. An acoustic guitar can only benefit from it if there is something causing an imbalance in the tonal range. I find this to be the case more because of environmental factors than issues with the instrument. By the way, a cylinder made from posterboard will do the same thing as the O-Port, with the added advantage that you don't mind cutting it, and its mass is lower than the O-Port. These devices alter the Helmholtz frequency of your guitar's body.

I won't bother to go into the science here, but a good guitar in a matching acoustic environment does not need an O-Port.
Thanks for your interesting comments regarding the O Port.
If you have any further suggestions or links regarding the science and matching acoustic environments please post :ohmy:

Wrench Wrote:
Fret leveling and crowning, a well-fitted bone or TUSQ saddle, a nut with correctly profiled string slots, and proper action settings are all simple, and very effective, modifications
Thanks for the heads up on these fundamental adjustments.
It's taking me a long time to understand the mechanics of the acoustic guitar but am getting there slowly.
I was looking at saddle adjustments last week. I don't know the difference in terms of sound with respect to bone or TUSQ
other than both materials get good reviews.

Dermot

wiley

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 am

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm

So you have to put a nasty piece of plastic in your Taylor to make it sound good? :-)
Sacrilege, on any beautifully made guitar in my opinion... I did hear a difference on the video but its not something I'd want to do with any of my guitars. I'd rather drop it from off my shoulder strap like I did with my heavy 12 string the other day (first time in 25 years)! Damned thing came loose at the button hole and dropped on the bottom edge of the guitar. Amazingly, no damage at all... except to my heart!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic