On the Beat - Episode 157 - Weekly Guitar video news wrap up March 15th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/tota ... -2013.html

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week the News wandered into even more directions than usual. I think I covered the new Target releases somewhere in there but I do remember talking about my return trip from Florida and showing the case and cover that I use, which I have a lot of faith in, maybe too much. The case is a Calton and the cover is from the Colorado Case Company. Even United Airlines came through for me last week, in spite of their suspect reputation, which I believe is now repaired.

The new Target releases included Student Reviews on Still The Same by Bob Seger and Cowgirl In The Sand by Neil Young. Our FOTW this week focused on 6/8 time and a bit on how to think about dividing beats. I really have to thank Kevin for coming across common problems for music students.

The song lessons this week were on Taxi by Harry Chapin and Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat. Both of these songs have some very interesting things happening in them and I hope everybody checked them out whether or not they seem like something you might want to tackle.

I found quite a few interesting threads on the Forum this week and commented on some, including the question on modulation, our old Campfire Songs, the new Challenges thread, as well as the great comments everybody had on 'How I Wish I Had Started Playing Guitar.'

The big news for the week is that we have gotten some great guest teachers committed to our September event although it will be a few more days till we can announce them. All I can say is I had a very short list of my top prospect and am not looking any further!

Spaces will be somewhat limited so I suggest that anybody thinking about coming checks in regularly next week, as we hope to have everything firmed up in a couple days and will be offering an early bird special to Target members.

Till then-
Stay Tuned & In Touch,
Neil

sbutler

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Neil, First of all, thanks for the tips on guitar travel. If I can make the "RETREAT" those will come in handy. As for the Target lesson "Taxi", I thought it was awesome, I'm just going to have to put that one on the back burner for now.

I did watch Kevins FOTW lesson about timing twice, and I will probably watch it more because I need the help there.

So don't feel bad about no response to the Harry Chapin lesson, it was appreciated. However rest assured that when you finally start filling out the James Taylor series, you'll hear cheers from around the world. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Scott

willem

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 pm

sbutler wrote:
Neil, First of all, thanks for the tips on guitar travel. If I can make the "RETREAT" those will come in handy. As for the Target lesson "Taxi", I thought it was awesome, I'm just going to have to put that one on the back burner for now.

I did watch Kevins FOTW lesson about timing twice, and I will probably watch it more because I need the help there.

So don't feel bad about no response to the Harry Chapin lesson, it was appreciated. However rest assured that when you finally start filling out the James Taylor series, you'll hear cheers from around the world. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Scott

My words ,,,special on the JT songs,,,,a bout Taxi...its a very long drive!!! :laugh: :laugh: B)

unclewalt

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to taking on "Taxi" at some point. What I notice here (that I never noticed hearing the original) is how much like it sounds like a prog song.

Modulation: my favorite example is Pink Floyd's hardest-rocking number, "The Nile Song," which cycles through six different keys. Here are the Melvins slamming through it - but it's just barely more blazin' than the Floyd's original:

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Neil

Thanks for the week and weekly news.

Thanks for explaining the modulation question in the forum topic too.

I'm really pleased you learnt guitar at 9, all those years preparing to teach folks like me !!
What a downer :dry: :laugh:

Box of Rain - Your plan for a ear training lesson sounds great.
Have a great weekend

Dermot

unclewalt

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

How can people not remember basslines??

Ouch...! :S

Well sometimes one goes blank in a split second.....I shouldn't have written down that split second...

michelew

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:02 pm

I suspect it was a classic case of your brain being preoccupied by the thought "Need more coooofffee, need more cooffee, coffee!"

Recent studies have shown that you've got to pay the coffee monster (the earlier it is the more you pay) before the synoptic pathways to your internal songbooks are available. Apparently the bigger the song book, the more coffee you need to lift the cover on the crazy thing. :) :) :) That's what I've heard anyway.

michelew

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Haha! Thanks Shel, that must have been it! ;)

michelew wrote:
I suspect it was a classic case of your brain being preoccupied by the thought "Need more coooofffee, need more cooffee, coffee!"

Recent studies have shown that you've got to pay the coffee monster (the earlier it is the more you pay) before the synoptic pathways to your internal songbooks are available. Apparently the bigger the song book, the more coffee you need to lift the cover on the crazy thing. :) :) :) That's what I've heard anyway.

michelew

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Chris has kicked off the busking bass lines challenge in a fabulous way here.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... lines.html

Who's game?

Hey Neil, if you feel the urge to upload a bass line celebration video don't resist it. I'm ABSOLUTELY sure we'd all love to see you playing more of those cool bass lines.

michelew

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Haha! Thanks Shel, that must have been it! ;)

michelew wrote:

I'm sure of it and I have proof of how your song recall powers work.

Anyone who needs some more bass line inspiration will find it here. It's Vanessa in rapid bass line recall mode, while demonstrating her acoustic bass to me. She made it look like so much fun that i had to go and get myself an acoustic bass too. It's very cool.

nesh16041972 wrote:
Alright Shel, the sound of my acoustic bassguitar, am curious what you think! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic