On the Beat - Episode 159 - A Conversation With Jim Page Part 1: A Little History

tgjameela

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am

Hi Everyone,

We have a new series of videos available featuring Jim Page.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/tota ... story.html

Seattle based songwriter/guitarist dropped by TG Central recently and we sat down for quite a while and talked about a bunch of things. Jim first came to my attention because of a lesson we put up here at TG, The Ivory Salamander, aka Busted Down Around O’Connelly Corners, as it was titled on the Doobie Brothers album The Captain And Me.

It turns out that Jim and I were taking lessons in Los Gatos in the late 1960s from the same teacher, Alan Beilharz. Our paths never crossed then due to a few years age difference and he was firmly planted in a bustling music scene in town that included the likes of Pat Simmons and Jorma Kaukonen, along with many other great, albeit less known players.

This 13-part series covers a lot of territory and includes Jim performing some great songs.

Part 1 of our conversation started with just a little comparing notes about our past and how our paths almost crossed 45 years ago.

dennisg

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Jim was one of my instructors at last summer's Puget Sound Guitar Workshop. He's perfect as a teacher: very calm, friendly, and infinitely patient while demonstrating (over and over) a specific technique. He plays a lot of stuff in alternate tunings on that old guitar with a hole in the top from repeated contact with a flat pick.

sbutler

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Oh what a score for Neil this is. Great Job Neil. I'm liking this.

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:36 pm

What a great video
Thanks Neil and Jim for sharing.

Dermot

Hydroman52

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 am

Good series. Thanks Jim and Neil. Also, thanks to the technical people for adding the second camera angle. It really opens up the video, and it's nice to see another corner of what appears to be a four corner structure. Perhaps one day you may pan around a 360 to take the mystery out of the rest of the building......or maybe not. While you're at it, possibly an outside shot, too.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic