On the Beat - Episode 166 - A Conversation With Jim Page Part 7: Ode To Billy Dean

tgjameela

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 am

Hi Everyone,

Here is part 7 in the 13 part series featuring Jim Page.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/inte ... illy-dean/

Expanding on the saga of Billy Dean, I mentioned Jorma Kaukonen’s song Ode To Bill Dean from Hot Tuna’s Burgers album, and Jim mentioned that he had written a song about Billy as well. Of course this took us into Jim playing the song and I picked along quietly in the background.

familyman4

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 am

That was so much fun to watch!!!

Thanks...
Bart

Music Junkie

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 pm

That was very fun to watch. I am always amazed by those who can play little leads along with the rhythm guitar. Something I need to tackle someday, but that ability just seems light years away right now...

Love this series so far... :)

Jason

willem

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
That was very fun to watch. I am always amazed by those who can play little leads along with the rhythm guitar. Something I need to tackle someday, but that ability just seems light years away right now...

Jason

I see Neil doing that a lot also in the fly on the walls and I think it looks a lot the same,,, only in diffrent keys,,He takes his fingers on a chord and picks out some notes and makes little runs to the other chord,,what do you think??

Willem

TGNeil

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:17 pm

willem wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

Jason

I see Neil doing that a lot also in the fly on the walls and I think it looks a lot the same,,, only in diffrent keys,,He takes his fingers on a chord and picks out some notes and makes little runs to the other chord,,what do you think??

Willem
Willem, you're giving away things that are top secret, except that I think I have a whole set of lessons on that. This is how I start playing along with anything in order to get the chord progression down first. As the song goes along sometimes I will start to branch out with more melody based themes, particularly as I get a feel for the phrasing of the vocal part.

Neil

Music Junkie

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:32 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Willem, you're giving away things that are top secret, except that I think I have a whole set of lessons on that. This is how I start playing along with anything in order to get the chord progression down first. As the song goes along sometimes I will start to branch out with more melody based themes, particularly as I get a feel for the phrasing of the vocal part.

Neil
lol.... I admit that I understand the basic theory behind the process, but, alas, I have not put in the hard work and practice to get comfortable with it. I seem to freeze up whenever someone says "just play anything that comes to you". What comes to me is the sound of silence (not the song... :silly: ). Mostly due to nerves. I think taking the time to play along with others more often could solve some of that.... :) That and getting more fluid with scales in general.

J

willem

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:38 pm

TGNeil wrote:
willem wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

Jason

Willem

Neil
Oh thank you Neil,,I followed those lessons (on the top three strings,,little triads,,and the boxes things,,scales) but that was ones(must go there again),

I love how you explain it now,,get the chord progression down first,,noodle a bit(positive) and when the feel for the phrasing of the vocal part comes,,branch it out,,,I think i am a bit lazy and I always want that someone else plays a bit lead,,but i do love it,,so I will try again,,,

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 pm

That was really entertaining.

Great show Jim and Neil.

We want more, we want more we want more...

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic