On the Beat - Episode 178 - A Visit With John Self

tgjameela

Mon May 06, 2013 10:42 am

Hi Everyone,

We have a new guest that Neil sat down with during his visit to Hilo, here is part 1 of the two part series.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/inte ... john-self/

On my recent visit to Hilo I dropped into Coconut Willy’s for breakfast with Rebecca and spent some time with our friend, the proprietor Kaliko Beamer-Trapp. You may have seen the TG News where Kaliko had a cameo or Rebecca’s story and dance on Papa’s Guitar.

As we were eating a guitar player dropped in and started playing some very unusual sounding stuff in an open tuning I couldn’t immediately identify, along with a couple partial capos. We didn’t have time to talk at first as the girls had to get to class. I came back an hour later to shoot the News and he was still there. I figured I’d take the opportunity to chat on camera and we had a great time.

The first part of our conversation included John Self playing a few tunes and telling me about how he landed in Hilo, recently moved from Portland, and general stories about music and life.

Music Junkie

Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 am

This looks very interesting, but I can't seem to watch it.... :(

In the last month or so, I am having all kinds of errors trying to watch certain YT clips. THey show a 10:30 length (for example) and then after about 10-15 seconds they just stop. If I start them again, the length shows at 10-15 seconds, but then continues to play after it has reached the time shown. It will play for a while, then stop again... I have tried this in Firefox, and in IE. Both give similar results. Is anybody else having any problems? MOST clips I watch seem O.K., but a few are just acting really weird.... Maybe they are right-handed videos.... :laugh:

Jason

willem

Mon May 06, 2013 11:44 am

Music Junkie wrote:

In the last month or so, I am having all kinds of errors trying to watch certain YT clips. THey show a 10:30 length (for example) and then after about 10-15 seconds they just stop. If I start them again, the length shows at 10-15 seconds, but then continues to play after it has reached the time shown. It will play for a while, then stop again... I have tried this in Firefox, and in IE. Both give similar results. Is anybody else having any problems? MOST clips I watch seem O.K., but a few are just acting really weird.... Maybe they are right-handed videos.... :laugh:

Jason

Yes and I at to delete my internet history and cookies and such,,after that it was flying again..

willem

Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Great,great,,I could hear his music in a movie,,,thx

Willem

TGNeil

Mon May 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Music Junkie wrote:

Jason
I had a similar problem that seems to have cleared up. It may have been YouTubes processing time. Try it again when you can.

Neil

Music Junkie

Mon May 06, 2013 1:59 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

Jason
I had a similar problem that seems to have cleared up. It may have been YouTubes processing time. Try it again when you can.

Neil
Thanks Willem & Neil. I will check it out again tonight after work...

J

sbutler

Mon May 06, 2013 6:04 pm

I got it the first time. That is really a great sound coming from his tuning. I loved it. Sadly it makes me realize how creative I'm not.

Scott

BobR

Mon May 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Very cool tuning whatever you call it and John's playing was really great and he had very interesting stories too.

I'll be in Hawaii tomorrow :laugh: Actually I am leaving for vacation tomorrow to Maui and Kauai.

Thanks John and Neil for sharing this video.

Bob

thereshopeyet

Wed May 08, 2013 7:27 am

Great video Neil

Interesting chat and music from John.
You'll need to video your followup meeting?

Looks like you had a good time in Hilo Neil.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic