On the Beat - Episode 180 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up May 10th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 10th-2013/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

There was a song running through my head that I couldn’t place today. Hopefully somebody will recognize it and help me out. Other than that today’s update mostly included comments about some cool stuff on the Forum: the great collaborations on All My Loving and Souvenirs, the helpful comments the community came up with for someone who just finished the Free Beginner’s Course, and the travels of the TG Banner. Speaking of the Banner, it is now officially Last Call so speak up if you want it or it will begin the journey to TG Central.

I also talked a little about the Recommend A Lesson section, which we hope to get tweaked into better operating condition. Be sure to keep the votes coming as I do look at it almost everyday.

While in recommending mode, I spoke a bit about an internet radio station that I really enjoy, although much of the rest of my household does not agree. It is 3wk.com and they play mostly underground classic cuts, with a heavy leaning toward psychedelic stuff. Perfect for those of us who can’t let go of our childhood, or formative years. As I type this there are playing What Are Their Names.

I also played a bit of this week’s new releases: the Level I Sight-Reading lesson, Midnight At The Oasis by Maria Muldaur, and Stormy Monday as done by The Allman Brothers. I hope everybody checks out some of the other versions, particularly Bobby Blue Bland’s, the main influence on Duane and Gregg, and the original by T-Bone Walker.

I hope everybody enjoyed our visit with John Self. It was such a cool thing to randomly run into somebody like that in Hilo and I am glad he could spend some time with me, and us.

Until next week,
Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

unclewalt

Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Is your mystery tune "I Got a Name" by Jim Croce? I'm guessing it's not, but I think it's close.

(After listening again, it's not that. Sounds *really* familiar, though.)

haoli25

Fri May 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Neil, If I am the 5th caller, what do I win? :laugh: :laugh:

I think the offending earworm is "Out In The Country" by Three Dog Night. Might be a cool lesson too.

Bill

TGNeil

Fri May 10, 2013 4:29 pm

WINNER!

Thanks and it might need to be a lesson, cool chord progression. Now I remember it also reminded a bit of One Fine Morning, with the minor 7th chords a step apart.

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Three Roses! Yes sir... I have witness, so I'll be awaiting on it! :-)

lueders

Sat May 11, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Neil,

Yep, I do still have the banner. Heck, I wouldnt keep ya outta loop. B) :) I will send it your way middle of next week.
I hope that isnt too awful late...gonna be outta town for Mother's/Day and Birthday stuff this weekend & I have CS finals next week. I appologize for that.

What specific mailing address would you like me to use, Sir?
Cori

fjeanmur

Sun May 12, 2013 8:15 am

Hope I'm putting this in the right place--I've never left a comment before. The name of the song Neil is thinking about is "Out in the Country" done by Three Dog Night. It seems that it was written by Paul Williams.
Totally Guitars Weekly Wrap Up May 10th, 2013
www.totallyguitars.com
There was a song running through my head that I couldn't place today. Hopefully somebody will recognize it and help me out. Other than that today's update mostly included comments about some cool stuff on the Forum: the great collaborations on All My Loving and Souvenirs, the helpful comments the co...

TGNeil

Sun May 12, 2013 9:53 am

fjeanmur wrote:
Hope I'm putting this in the right place--I've never left a comment before. The name of the song Neil is thinking about is "Out in the Country" done by Three Dog Night. It seems that it was written by Paul Williams.
Thanks and welcome to the TG Forum! There are a lot of Paul Williams songs, and Three Dog Night songs for that matter, that are really catchy and get stuck in my head. I think I'll have to start doing lessons on some of them.

Neil

unclewalt

Sun May 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Williams was a big favorite of my mom's, so I heard him a lot growing up. Not really my thing, but a fine songwriter. Now I realize that this is where I recognized the tune from - not the Three Dog Night version, though I know I've heard that before.

This one would make a great lesson. So might "An Old Fashioned Love Song," which -- as I just reminded myself during a bit of research -- was also done by Three Dog Night.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic