On the Beat - Episode 185 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up June 14th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 14th-2013/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week we brought out a very cool 12-string song, More Fool Me by Genesis, well really just 2 parts of the band,
Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford. Since this beast of a guitar was still here spent a fair amount of time today noodling
around on it and talking about some classic 12-string tunes, most of which are already lessons here at TG.
I also played a bit of Leo Kottke's take on John Fahey's In Christ There Is No East Or West.

Since they were brought up on the Forum, I also talked about Gentle Giant, one of the most amazing bands of the
70s progressive bands. They are certainly not for everyone as it can be very demanding listening but the high levels
of musicianship, creativity, and virtuosity are rarely found.

The new Target releases this week were the already mentioned Genesis tune from their album Selling England By The Pound,
The Avett Brothers' I And Love And You, Peggy-O by The Grateful Dead, and Al Stewart's Broadway Hotel, along with a
Country Blues Fly On The Wall with Lynn working on Billie's Blues.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Neil

Fun to watch you play the 12 String.

It's hard not to recognise it now !!!
:)

General Giant...... Weird sound....

Have a great weekend

Dermot

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:46 am

Thanks for the 12 string treat this week Neil! That was some impressive picking right there... that is so hard to do cleanly! I think I'll go pick up my "beast" for a noodle... ;-)

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:40 am

Speaking of extra strings, I was fortunate to see Roger McGuinn perform just 2 days ago, in an intimate venue.
Besides from his 7 string Neil mentions, he also has a 12 string electric.
McGuinn was alone onstage, and used reminiscences about his career as introductions to most of his songs ... great show !

And this is my fave Gentle Giant video ... such a TIGHT band ! (and no unfortunate pantsuits in this earlier video)

michelew

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Neil,

The 12 string sounds amazing.

Ahhhh...but if you were trying to show how BAD fingerpicking sounds on it.... You missed, you'll need to deliberately drop the ball next time. B) I guess when you're good, you're good. Even when you're showing how something doesn't work, you make it work and sound very cool.

I get that the melody type notes were more hidden, but the complex wave of sound sounded cool regardless.

Thanks for the demo.

:)

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic